Can Discourse be installed on a regular VPS?

I like the future-minded Discourse, and while I’ve also been following Flarum, which finally went stable recently, ideally I’d love to give feature-superior Discourse a shot by migrating from vBulletin.

However, my biggest issue is technical requirements. My community is sponsored with a VPS by a hosting company. I know DigitalOcean is recommended and if a regular VPS is employed, Discourse may run with problems.

Because I have the flexibility to customize this VPS to any specifications, what should these specs be that would guarantee good performance, if that’d even make a difference?

Thank you.

If your VPS has decent modern specifications, it should be able to host discourse. Discourse works best with 2GB+ of RAM and a solid state storage.

1 Like

That’s reassuring, thank you @itsbhanusharma

Besides RAM and SSD, what version of OS and/or specific software/framework should it be running?

Those things are answered in the official install.

2 Likes

Discourse should run on any VPS that is using KVM for virtualisation (a quick way to check is to see if the host allows installing a custom OS) with 1GB of RAM.

If you have a particularly busy site you may benefit from more RAM and powerful CPU.

Do you know roughly how many pageviews you get daily?

1 Like

Thank you! I am going to ask my provider about KVM.

Re: page views, it’s not a lot by any measure. But it’s a 4GB RAM VPS, upgradable at any time, on-demand.