Which server to choose regarding Discourse requirements?

Hi.
I’m going to buy a VPS Cloud 2 from OVH, and they have two offers:

dual-core 3,1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 50 GB, 19€/month
dual-core 2,4 GHz, 12 GB RAM, 50GB, 19€/month

My server will not contain only a Discourse installation (150000 messages and 3000 users migrated from PHPBB, I think a few dozen messages will be written each day), but also a variable number of small Wordpress websites, and 1 larger which will be using WP-Discourse.

Any suggestion about the offer that would suit my needs?

edit: I didn’t see that there is also the VPS SSD 3: dual-core 2,4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 40GB SSD, 15€/month, which is cheaper and maybe more suitable?

You definitely want SSD, the last one seems fine, just check and see if it is a fairly modern CPU.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for your reply. Strangely, I can’t find the CPU model on their site…

You’d need to email their support, probably. As long as it is a CPU from 2015 or later (released in the last 3 years) you should be fine.

1 Like

Thank you.

A last question:
It is possible that I would have to host 2 discourse installations in the future.
The first one with 150000 messages and 3000 members, but I don’t know how many visits per day. In terms on postd message, I think a few dozen each days as I said.
The other one would be 200000 messages and 7000 members, with twice as more messages per day. Don’t know how many visits per day either.

Do you think a dual core with 8 GB RAM will be enough, or do you strongly advice a quad core?

Start with your best guess low end package and upgrade/add more resources as you need to. You can’t downgrade though.

We’re on OVH. Small community, 2.5k/reads a day. But I will say that even the lowest spec OVH server barely broke a sweat in terms of CPU. 3-5%. RAM is always maxed but that’s the nature of the OS.

One thing to note, Discourse likes fast CPUs over number or cores.

The main problem I had was insufficient disk space, that was because I stored too many backups on there. Rookie error :joy:

3 Likes