Can users get emailed when a category has a new topic added to it?

I have members who want to get notified via email when a post has been added to a specific category. Like most things related to discourse, I can’t figure it out. I see the bell, but that doesn’t seem to send anything to the inbox.

2 Likes

Have them change Category to watching

The SS above shows it from topic controls. They can add a category to watched in Preferences.

Alternatively There is a theme-component that can make this easier as well.

There is also a plugin that allows you to follow members.

2 Likes

This is great Dan. Thank you. I’ll give it a test.

1 Like

@Heliosurge I changed the default watched categories to two categories, then made a post. I waited 20 minutes, and zero emails were sent. Is there something I am missing, or could something be broken? I checked my spam folder etc…

2 Likes

Were you still logged on the site? Check your email preferences.

If like mine above. An email will be sent if I am not logged in. Also just to be sure the new topic would be posted by someone other than yourself. A test user is a good idea

Note: if you use the watch first post instead.(Option just below in your pic) This will only send a notification of a new topic vs notifying of every post in the topic.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m logged in. We keep people logged in unless they purposely log out. That would be a huge bummer if emails don’t show up because a person is logged in. I’m continuing to run more tests…Still no luck…Seems like there should be a way to turn this stuff on/off for everyone in the forum.

1 Like

The setting in the SS I believe. Try changing it to “Always”

In you admin panel you can set default watched categories etc. iirc it will ask you if you want to apply to all? Though may need to set it manually for some.

1 Like

Stupid question, but what is SS?

Thanks again for taking time with me.

1 Like

screen shot

1 Like

It means ScreenShot. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Okay, thank you. I thought it was security settings. Lol.

1 Like

My apologies. There are times I have to look up th abbreviations ppl use. :joy:

Maybe the team would consider using linkify words or iirc there is one for abbreviations to show a tip?

This setting in Admin\settings maybe of interested.

Default as I don’t think I changed it is 10m before email sent.

1 Like