Can users trial site then be prompted to sign up after say 10 minutes?

Our site has a bounce rate of around 50%. We’re hoping to reduce that by allowing people to view the entire site for say 10 page views without signing up, and then after that they are prompted to signup. Is there any feature or way of implementing this?

Cheers.

3 Likes

So, I was going to start a new topic on this, but saw that @rowan\ had requested a registration prompt last year.

Today, we saw 50 registrations on our site, 4x a normal day. Turns out that we had launched a plugin, but didn’t realize that it was throwing an error for guests on topic pages. Even without the proper messaging / call-to-action, we saw that enough guests decided it was time to register to see if that would solve the problem.

Based on the numbers, I think the idea of gating unauthenticated access to a certain level of pages is an interesting idea and could help drive membership. And if it’s not this, it seems that we could be doing more to encourage guests to signup.

1 Like

My concern here is that yes, you are very likely to drive membership up, BUT… this will also lead to lots of these new members hating you.

“Sign up to read content” is very widely hated on the Internet.

2 Likes

Fair point Sam. Though I would say the Discourse registration is pretty painless, and a low barrier if we wouldn’t require users to confirm their email to read the content. A good community merits membership, you can’t just browse Facebook :slight_smile: (Yes, I realize there are major differences)

Anyhow, I just thought it was interesting to go from 10-15 registrations / day to 50, and not really lose much in traffic. If it were 50% increase, I’d say not worth it. But 4x? A little frustration to drive adoption seems like a worthwhile experiment.

Curious to hear how many daily registrations other Discourse communities are getting. Perhaps we’re missing out on something.

There is already the new user call to action that kicks in when a new user has browsed at least two topics for at least one minute and reached the bottom.

You can view a screenshot of it in the Discourse 1.4 release blog post.

So effectively, this already happens.

Sort of, the desire here is to stop the world and take away the cake 10 minutes after you start eating it

If you want to continue eating the cake you must supply a valid email

6 Likes