When people browse around reading topics anonymously, they aren’t getting their read time saved to the server, and their visits don’t count for promotion. But most importantly, the last read position doesn’t get saved, so they don’t enter where they left off.
I want to let these people know what they’re missing out on.
- When logged in as anon, instead of throwing out post read time data, save it to localStorage.
- Save visits to localStorage too (one per calendar day).
- On the second visit if read time was already >=10 minutes, or immediately when read time is >= 30 minutes, pop up a call-to-action explaning the benefits of logging in and signing up for an account.
This needs to be disabled on sites that are: invite only, login required, must approve users. TODO: Should it be disabled with SSO? Probably not.
Not sure which style is better. Patches welcome
On a “visit” (full page load >24 hours after the first one)
Hey, welcome back! You’ve read quite a few posts, but you’re not signed up for an account, so you’re missing out. Logged-in users get their last post position saved in every topic, and you can track topics so that they’re highlighted in the list when there’s new posts. Why not create one now?
Click to hide forever.
When read time hits 30 minutes:
Sorry to interrupt your reading, but you’ve been missing out. If you sign up for an account, when you come back, the page will pick up where you left off, along with lots of other cool features, including notifications for new posts in threads you care about.
Don’t worry! We’ll remember where you are right now and make sure to bring you right back.
Sign me up! Maybe Later Never show this again
- If the activation is too touchy, we’ll annoy drive-by visitors.
- Need to add a new facility (that’s not the bootbox modal) for a popup that doesn’t block you from continuing to use the site.
The feature is now ready in a WIP form. Here’s the current display conditions:
- entered 5 topics
- read for 15 minutes
- page was loaded 24 hours after the first visit (tech note: this prevents it from ever showing up if localStorage is disabled)
- “Maybe Later” not clicked in the last 24 hours