Cannot change username with SSO enabled

When renaming a user (from jb1 to jb), I get this error message:
There was an error changing your username.

No information is recorded in /logs.
The old username was created because the user used SSO for the first time, and his name was too short. Now, I changed the minimum username length, and wanted to adjust his name.

1 Like

what happens when you rename to jb2 ā€¦ jx ?

Almost certainly a length restriction. Unlikely to be a bug.

Is there any setting for length restrictions apart from min username length, which I have set to 2?
Setting any other name does not work either.

Changing username minimum after the fact (e.g. setting minimum username length to 4 chars, when you have ten users with 2 char usernames) will cause lots of problems.

1 Like

what happens if you restart your container, maybe something bad is cached?

I restarted (or in fact: rebuild) the container, this did not help.

I found it: sso overrides username prevents the name change.

I still consider this situation a bug. Enabling this setting should either hide the Change Username button from the administrator panel and disable the users/.../preferences/username page, or still allow username changes for admins (possibly with a warning).
Iā€™d prefer the latter, to allow admins to manually ā€œuntangleā€ cases where Discourseā€™s change-illegal-names-system has created unintended names.

6 Likes

This PR adds test cases for the problem described in the OP, so we can be sure that in general overriding username, for example, from jb1 to jb works:

Iā€™m going to take a look at it.

6 Likes

Turned out itā€™s already fixed. We hide this pencil when the setting is turned on:

Screenshot 2021-12-29 at 22.05.33

Also, we show this if an admin is trying to change username of some user:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.