Cannot grow/shrink composition pane with touch

On my Surface, I can’t grow or shrink the composer area using touch – it’s interpreted as a scroll of the content below.

My guess is that this is because on the “desktop” version of Discourse, only mouse events are handled. Rather than also handle touch events, is it worthwhile moving Discourse to pointer events such that any current and future pointing devices will Just Work™? The jQuery team have a non-jQuery polyfill for pointer events.

While we tend to always be on the bleeding edge, we need more adoption :wink:

1 Like

Agreed. Although there are many promising changes in the works, I don’t think it’s a good idea to expect users to go into their about:config, chrome://flags or equivalent and mess with settings.

Not to say that developers aware of possible consequences can’t do some testing in anticipation of broader browser adoption.

Pointer Events Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android
Enables experimental support for the Pointer Events API. This is intended only for testing by web developers, may cause some websites to be subtly broken. #enable-pointer-events

To be fair, this isn’t what I’m advocating – rather, I’m suggesting the use of a polyfill like the jQuery team’s PEP (linked above). This would work in all browsers, regardless of their support for pointer events (or not).

1 Like