Cannot use zoom for lightbox images on phones

pr-welcome

(Luke Robbins) #1

If a image is resized to smaller dimensions in discourse I cannot zoom the image either when it is in the lightbox or in the actual thread.

This makes viewing larger images that have been linked difficult without browsing away from the forum.

Is there any reason why small images don't have thumbnails?
(Sol) #2

Zoom would be a dream in the lightbox!

(Luke Robbins) #3

I am 99% sure you can do it on G+

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Let’s try a large image here and see:

(Sol) #5

Galaxy Note 3 4.4.2 with Chrome… Can not zoom…

(Sol) #6

And I can move the site a very little bit too the left…

(Jeff Atwood) #7

No repro… here’s me after tapping on the lightboxed image on Chrome latest, Android latest… then using my two fingers to pinch it bigger

(Sol) #8

If I tap once on the lightbox it zooms in bit at a fixed ratio and then i can only scroll but not zoom…

(Luke Robbins) #9

Just tried it, if I tap in Chrome on Android I can zoom but only the top left hand corner when tapping. I am using latest Chrome on Android 4.1.2 on a S3 mini.

EDIT: it is totally broken in Firefox for Android.

(lid) #11

are you sure you were able to use pinch gesture to control zoom after tap? i think it is a good bug if yes :smile:

I opened this topic while ago

(Luke Robbins) #12

I cannot zoom using Chrome on Android.

(Jeff Atwood) #13

That is odd, considering I showed screenshots, above, of me zooming an image in Chrome on Android.

(Zane Beckman) #14

Do you have “force enable zoom” turned on under accessibility in chrome’s settings?

(Luke Robbins) #15

I have it disabled, if I enable it I can zoom

(Sol) #16

You should not be forced to use “force enable zoom” because how should I educate my users to do that…?!

(Rikki Tooley) #17

I can do zoom in on Windows Phone but I suspect it’s just a happy accident… I can also zoom out from the page.

(Jeff Atwood) #18

AHA! Indeed I do. Sorry about that!

(cpradio) #19

As an FYI, it seems to be because of this meta tag

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, minimum-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no">

If you set it to

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

You get the same initial output and permit users to pinch and zoom.

(Sol) #20

Looks like a good solution to me. Would a PR be accepted for that?

(Jeff Atwood) #21

Unlikely since that affects every single page. You need a solution that affects light box only.