Cannot use zoom for lightbox images on phones

If a image is resized to smaller dimensions in discourse I cannot zoom the image either when it is in the lightbox or in the actual thread.

This makes viewing larger images that have been linked difficult without browsing away from the forum.

1 Like

Zoom would be a dream in the lightbox!

I am 99% sure you can do it on G+

Let’s try a large image here and see:

1 Like

Galaxy Note 3 4.4.2 with Chrome… Can not zoom…

And I can move the site a very little bit too the left…

No repro… here’s me after tapping on the lightboxed image on Chrome latest, Android latest… then using my two fingers to pinch it bigger

If I tap once on the lightbox it zooms in bit at a fixed ratio and then i can only scroll but not zoom…

1 Like

Just tried it, if I tap in Chrome on Android I can zoom but only the top left hand corner when tapping. I am using latest Chrome on Android 4.1.2 on a S3 mini.

EDIT: it is totally broken in Firefox for Android.

are you sure you were able to use pinch gesture to control zoom after tap? i think it is a good bug if yes :smile:

I opened this topic while ago
https://meta.discourse.org/t/add-pinch-to-zoom-for-images-on-mobile/19152

I cannot zoom using Chrome on Android.

That is odd, considering I showed screenshots, above, of me zooming an image in Chrome on Android.

Do you have “force enable zoom” turned on under accessibility in chrome’s settings?

2 Likes

I have it disabled, if I enable it I can zoom

You should not be forced to use “force enable zoom” because how should I educate my users to do that…?!

2 Likes

I can do zoom in on Windows Phone but I suspect it’s just a happy accident… I can also zoom out from the page.

AHA! Indeed I do. Sorry about that!

As an FYI, it seems to be because of this meta tag

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, minimum-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no">

If you set it to

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

You get the same initial output and permit users to pinch and zoom.

3 Likes

Looks like a good solution to me. Would a PR be accepted for that?

Unlikely since that affects every single page. You need a solution that affects light box only.