Can't downgrade from beta to stable

Created a Discourse server from DO. It was running v1.9.0 beta 10 +87.
When I try to use the stable version: 1.8.7, SSO stopped working and getting error like this.

Failed to create or lookup user: PG::RaiseException: ERROR: Discourse: email in users is readonly : INSERT INTO “users” (“email”, “name”, “username”, “ip_address”, “trust_level”, “username_lower”, …

I just switched back to the beta version and SSO is working for now
Anyone could help me where should I check?

1 Like

You cannot go down versions, that is not supported.

1 Like

Thanks for quick reply.
I updated by making “version: stable” in app.yml.
Is that mean I have to wait for stable build with higher version number?

No, you can rebuild or go to /admin/upgrade to upgrade, (but stable doesn’t get updated as often, obviously).

2 Likes

Wait, I think one of us is confused here.

@David_Park You created a new site, which was installed on tests_passed, version 1.9.0.beta10. Next you went into your app.yml file and switched to stable, rebuilt your site, which then caused you to be on version 1.8.7. @codinghorror please correct me if I’m going nuts, but that is going down in versions and we don’t support “backwards” database migrations.

4 Likes

That’s correct. The details of what’s happened is the current versions of Discourse have users.email marked as read-only in preparation for its eventual removal; the older version of Discourse expects to be writing that column.

2 Likes

Which reminds me … I need to drop the column now that we can use the rails 5.1 feature that marks the column unused without a monkey patch.

6 Likes

OK @tgxworld now dropped the email column properly per new pattern.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/b3237d37f04f8d2daa12783f0a961d92ee938549

3 Likes