Cant select emojis well in recent update

Some ppl in my two forums started complaining that they have difficulties on selecting emojis from discourse emoji selector with their cellphones. I also tested the problem and can confirm that the behaviour is chaotic. Sometimes I need to click on an emoji many times until it is selected.

I also tested here in meta and got same results.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same thing reported by a user but I am unable to reproduce it.

Their environment is Chrome mobile on a Samsung S9.

They say they can bring up the emoji list, search and even select the emoji skin tone but are unable to select the emoji. Clicking it apparently doesn’t select and return to the editor.

Oddly enough I’ve just tried it myself on meta and it’s failing in exactly the way described above.

Chrome on OnePlus 5 here.

Can someone else test it here?

3 Likes

Yes my environment is also chrome. I tested with android native browser too. Although the editor seems broken in native browser. However the emoji selector works fine.

Was able to reproduce and it’s happening because of the return false; added in emoji-picker.js.es6 on line 368.

Was added in https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/7308

cc @joffreyjaffeux

It can’t be reproduced on the desktop ( even in “mobile mode” ). You have to actually do it using a phone and then it can be reproduced ( using latest brave browser for example )

8 Likes

Ok will look this on Monday

8 Likes

I pushed a small fix for this, can anyone still repro? If yes can someone make a video please. I couldn’t repro anything very consistent.

8 Likes

That must have fixed it, I can’t repro anymore on Android + Chrome :ok_hand:

4 Likes

I can select :grinning: correctly now.

3 Likes

Great thanks for the update :+1:

2 Likes