Can't upgrade because zip file theme marked as update on upgrade

Doing the following:

cd /var/discourse
sudo git pull
sudo ./launcher rebuild app

It runs for some time and then fails. The last output lines look like this:

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 3766 exit 1>
Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:112:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"assets_precompile", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile'"]}
c4da976a2f26c73ac3ea657689d16be28f54cd216c133ceb90af4898c8175010
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.

When then running

sudo ./discourse-doctor

The only meaningful entry I could find is:

I, [2021-07-23T05:33:02.903723 #1]  INFO -- : Updating Dunkel...
Error updating Dunkel: Error cloning git repository, access is denied or repository is not found

My question

Could someone please give me some hints on how to resolve this?

1 Like

The repository for Dunkel is either private or no longer around.

2 Likes

Thanks. I already looked through “app.yml” and did not find any references to “Dunkel”.

The only thing I can see is a theme called “Dunkel” (German for “dark”) that says

This theme was imported from a ZIP file

There is a checkbox at the theme saying

Automatically update theme when Discourse is updated

I’ve unchecked this checkbox now.

Then, running

cd /var/discourse
sudo git pull
sudo ./launcher rebuild app

after that actually succeeds now. :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Being able to check the auto update box on a zip file theme sounds like a bug to me. I’m moving this.

2 Likes

Maybe the logging should also print the repository URL it is about to try to reach to better see what’s going on?

I found no way to actually see the repository URL at all, not in the log files, not in the GUI.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.