Error after update failed today: [rake themes:update assets:precompile]

Today, after performing a standard update via the admin panel, the update was blocked and when trying to perform the procedure manually with ./launcher rebuild app this did not work for the first time :face_with_diagonal_mouth:, and it gave me the following error:

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 754 exit 1>

Location of failure: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/pups-1.1.1/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:117:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"assets_precompile", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile'"]}

bootstrap failed with exit code 1

** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.

Any suggestion to fix this?

1 Like

Could you scroll up from that message and see if there are any more specific errors?

1 Like

Hey @JammyDodger I really don’t know how to do it, I use DigitalOcean - with its console that I’ve only run a few times to rebuild. I leave you a screenshot in case I see an error in Stack Trace and Error report

2 Likes

Hi @TroyaNO - it looks like you’ve tried to install the discourse-social-share theme component as a plugin. You should remove that line from your app.yml file.

To give some context: Putting a theme in the plugins directory has never worked. But in the past it would fail silently with no error. Over the last 24h or so (since this commit), it started raising an error. I’ve just pushed another change which takes us back to the old ‘silently do nothing’ behaviour, so if you try updating again it should work.

6 Likes

Hi @david, Cool! just ran ./launcher rebuild app again and now it seems to work, you are rock! :clap:

Btw, what was the command to edit the app.yml file from the console (?) and what exactly should I remove, or is it no longer needed?

Thanks for the great support!

1 Like

Commands to edit app.yml can be found at the beginning of Install Plugins in Discourse

You should remove the entire line which mentions discourse-social-share

Even though the error is gone, I’d still recommend removing it. Having a theme in the plugins directory could cause other issues in future.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.