I’m testing out the voting plugin right now and I think this feature would be a good fit for our use case. Would be grateful for advice and ideas. Thanks!
We are considering using this plugin to allow the community to vote for representatives to join our network guidance committee. There might be more than one opening at a time with up to 6 candidates vying for the same opening. My thinking is that we’d have a VOTING category with voting plugin enabled sub-categories for each opening. Within each opening category there would be one topic per candidate, authored by the candidate, containing their message introducing themselves and why they should be elected. All site members would be allowed just one vote for each candidate.
So the current model that gives each user a set number of votes they can “spend” however they like doesn’t work. We’d have to provide enough votes for each user to be able to vote for all candidates, but do not want to have them spend them all on the same candidate.
For those who might be curious, here's the full election process as we are considering it right now.
- NGC members serve for 3 year, renewable terms. A vacancy arises when an NGC member decides not to renew their NGC membership for another term. Filling the vacancy will be based on universal criteria applying to all NGC members as well as specific criteria to round out the committee (e.g. gender of candidate or by region, theme, type of organization represented).
- On April 1st of each year, announce vacancies for nominations.
- This call for nominations will be open for two months until June 1st.
- Candidates, whether by nomination or self-nomination, must submit a resume and cover letter stating their intent to be on the NGC.
- All who submit appropriate documentation are called “nominees”.
- A selection committee made up of network team members and NGC members reviews the resumes and documentation of nominees. The selection committee will decide which nominees clearly do not meet minimal qualifications and eliminate those nominees. This requires a unanimous agreement by all members of the selection committee.
- Those nominees who meet the minimal qualifications will be contacted by a member of the selection committee for screening.
- By August 1st, the selection committee will select no more than 6 people for each vacancy to be considered for election. These selected individuals will be called “candidates”. The selection process will be done by consensus. If consensus cannot be achieved, then the chair of the selection committee may call for a simple majority vote on any nominee becoming a candidate with the chair of the committee having the deciding vote.
- Two months later, on October 1st, the results of the election are announced and the retired NGC members are removed and the new NGC members are added to the NGC page and discourse group.
A simpler alternative may be to create poll topics for each opening, and add the “pitch” text and maybe a photo for each candidate to the OP. But it seemed interesting to create some healthy and fun competition by having multiple topics that people can vote on.