Category homepage as default?

Thank you. Looks like this will take away the ability of the user to change his preference?

I would like to do a one time update and then let the user change it per his/her preference. Thoughts please?

I will answer my own question, based on a little experimentation.

This command from rails c resets the home page view preference of all users to site default.

UserOption.where("homepage_id IS NOT NULL").update_all(homepage_id: '')

1 Like

Right. I forgot that feature when I did this, and the problem I was solving was making a single category the home page. Your change of all user settings may be what you want, but if you want to change for all users why not just change the value globally? I must not be reading carefully enough.

If you are meaning the site setting on the front end by ‘global change’, I found that the site setting change does not override the user preference if they already have updated it .
Resetting any user’s preference back to NULL makes it align to site default. I hardly had anyone who had a user preference though, which was interesting.

Thank you, found this via a quick google search (luckily the 1st result in SERPs) for “discourse category as home page” and was super easy. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

There is an easier way to do this! Just go to Admin > Settings > Basic Setup > Top menu. Then you can reconfigure which page you want to appear first and in which order. The first page would be the default page.