Category homepage as default?

Yes, I also realized that showing the category page by default might provide better orientation for new users and changed my homepage.

When read @HAWK’s statement, I’m wondering: if that is indeed a general “rule”, then wouldn’t it make sense to set the category page as default homepage for new forums?

Disclaimer: I’m assuming that there is a default homepage. I don’t remember whether this is something you are asked to specific in the setup process, but even if it is, there’ d seem to be something that pushed me towards choosing “Latest” as my homepage. (As a side note: it is also somewhat difficult to find how to change the homepage)

1 Like

The easiest way is to rerun the wizard.

1 Like

I’m not sure if that is “easier” than changing the order of your top menu items. If you know that this is what you have to do, I’d say that’s the easiest. But if you don’t know what to do, searching the settings will point you neither to the wizard nor to the order of the items in the top menu.

Suggestion: perhaps it would help to change the help text for the top menu settings from this:

to: “Determine which items appear in the homepage navigation and in what order (the first item is the default homepage). Example: latest|…”

But the more user friendly solution would be to add a site setting “default home page”, simple because the way things are now, it’s a bit of a nuisance that you have to remove all the items in order to change the first one.

14 Likes

We are more likely to delete that setting altogether.

1 Like

You mean the top menu site setting?

Hey guys,

I would like to edit our discourse channel as to make the categories the default for the homepage, just like here:

Currently, the default for the home page is “Latest”.

How can I do that?

Best,
Vlad

Re-run the wizard (example.com/wizard) and choose Categories and Latest Topics.

13 Likes

Thank you! It worked.

1 Like

Can you elaborate?

I am about to use the strategy mentioned here which is to set the default homepage to Categories (I assume by re-ordering that list, which is a little confusing), but then setting the Logo to link to Latest. This enables new users to encounter the Categories, but generally to after that be encountering latest.

If this is to be removed, can you explain how we could address the given concerns? Or link to discussion about this.

thanks!

That global setting is still active however it’s more simple if you choose the homepage when you run the wizard the first time (and subsequently). Whether the setting is hidden or not for you is irrelevant (you can always use the wizard).

You can certainly change the link to the logo.

I also want to remember you that now the users can choose the default page from the preferences on the user profile:

4 Likes

Has there ever been any thought to having a different homepage layout for desktop and mobile? Or, as a new user, have I simply not found a setting which does this?

I have toyed with the idea of having the desktop come up in category - latest mode, if only there was a way to have the mobile default to just show latest.

1 Like
4 Likes

There is also a theme component to force the mobile homepage to be different from desktop:

but remember that your users will not be able to override this change from their users profile.

7 Likes

This did the trick for me, thanks!

As I said before there is a theme component for that

5 Likes

Great! Thanks for pointing me to this setting.
@codinghorror I would miss this setting if removed… why would you?

I have just switched my site to category view. Stays that way for the user until the user logs in, when it becomes the latest view.

Is there a way to force all users’ preference to the default view on a one time basis? May be an sql command to run?

Thanks.

The user can override this via /my/preferences/interface – note where it says “Default Home Page”

Yes, thanks. But it is hard to educate the users, in our type of forum.
A command to update one time will be very useful.

I did this today to use with the Kanban Board Theme Component.

https://github.com/pfaffman/discourse-allow-arbitrary-homepage

3 Likes