Category-specific message or pinned topic

We are looking for a way to have messages on a category that would not only appear on the category “home” page, but also at the top of all topics within that category. Is there currently a way to achieve this? We have created some pinned topics, but, of course, those only appear on the category home page.

2 Likes

Not sure what’s the issue here, could you please elaborate? When you category pin a topic, it appears at the top of all the topics in that category.

1 Like

I think he means at the top of each topic page of that category (at the top of the topic page, /t/.../[topic_id], and not only at the category page, /c/.../[category_id]), if I understood correctly.

4 Likes

Like a banner pinned to the top of every topic in a specific category. :wink:

1 Like

I second the desire for this. Essentially, the ability to get a message across to everyone trafficking in a specific category.

3 Likes

Yes. This is what I am trying to achieve. Every topic page within specific category or sub-category.

@JimPas - is this possible now that you know of?

1 Like

You could achieve this with a custom theme component. There is no built in way in Discourse to do this.

5 Likes

Thanks @eviltrout! Any examples you could point me to? If not, I’ll play around with it and see if I can figure it out. I appreciate the input!!

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the code of the plugin, but I know this one does a lot of similar customizations:

2 Likes

A mock-up would be beneficial.

Topic List Previews can put a series images at the top of a Category with associated text excerpts called Featured Images. You tag the Topics you wish to highlight there. When a user hovers over an image they will see the excerpt text from the Topic. If the Topics dont have images it may not be useful. It is mainly an image focussed plugin so it may or may not suffice. A workaround might be to add a default image you wish to use.

1 Like