Change the 5 default Emojis

How can I manually change the 5 default emojis that come up when typing a colon?

I would have thought those 5 defaults would update by my actions (favorites), but they don’t, they are the same regardless. Which means I have to click on “more” and go to the full list every time, since my favorite emojis are not in the 5 default.

Sincerely,
Mike

3 Likes

Hi @Mikael_Baggström,

we don’t have any way to change this at the moment. It’s hardcoded here:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/app/assets/javascripts/discourse/components/d-editor.js.es6#L461

While that might not be hard to add it to the API, no one has ever asked this, so we are well under our rule of 3. If it was accepted it would be very low priority probably.

@zogstrip ?

3 Likes

Ah well, never hurt asking at least. And I of course trust you prioritize well in the development process. :slight_smile:

I would personally love that feature :stuck_out_tongue:

I think we could get started with using local storage to count the # of times specific emojis are being used and use that to improve the list of the default emoji used (when we have enough data).

8 Likes

We actually already have “discourse_emojis_emojiUsage” in local storage (used for recently used emojis), but it’s used for the big picker, I could mix them and ensure each of them is populating the same one.

8 Likes

Less work is even better! (I had a feeling we were already storing that information somewhere)

4 Likes

Yes that would be a nice feature, the default is fine but if we have info on which emojis are being used the most by that particular user we could replace it with a better, more specific list.

5 Likes

Does it store the tone value too?

Eg. :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

Yes it does, it will store in this format:

["woman_pilot:t4","smiley"]
3 Likes

This seemed like a nice feature to start the day, pending review/merge, that should do it:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/8011

13 Likes

Woah that’s fantastic! Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is now deployed :tada:

8 Likes

This is just another example of you folks constantly improving the little details that make Discourse so pleasant to use. Thank you! :two_hearts:

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.