Changing topic_excerpt_maxlength does not update existing excerpts automatically

• I change topic_excerpt_maxlength to a different value.
  • Existing topic excerpts are not updated
  • When I make changes to an existing pinned topic, the excerpt is updated

I guess it would also work re-baking all excerpts on the server. But the setting not having an immediate effect is confusing for community managers.

3 Likes

I think thatā€™s a good guess.

Having a setting change start a rebake of a million posts might also be confusing. And itā€™s not that confusing since you already knew the answer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, a client brought it up. It was confusing to them that changing the setting did not change the excerpt lengths. It was even more confusing when I brought up posts being baked and rebakedā€¦ :innocent:

3 Likes

Maybe Iā€™m wrong.

I think other settings that require a rebake include such a note in the description. Some other changes rebake posts a few at a time.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve slipped this over to ux as I think itā€™s working as intended. I think a change to the setting description could make this clearer though. Itā€™s currently:

topic excerpt maxlength - Maximum length of a topic excerpt/summary, generated from the first post in a topic.

We do have this on a couple of similar ones - ā€˜If you change this, you must rebake all posts with: ā€œrake posts:rebakeā€ā€™, though I donā€™t know if we could improve on that while weā€™re at it?

1 Like