Chat for developers

Hi guys :slight_smile:
I feel like our community is big but we don’t communicate as much.
I was wondering if there is some chat, maybe Discord, that Discourse users and developers use to talk with each other in realtime, share their forums and ideas, review each other’s forums or asking small Discourse development questions that are Spam for the Discourse meta.
If not, were you interested in such a thing?

6 Likes

Since discourse userbase is spread out, I don’t think it makes sense to make communications real time (particularly due to time zones) . If you want any help, meta has a lot of answers and if you’re not asking a totally irrelevant question, someone will respond to you with a right answer (or link to one)

for customization and development, there is #marketplace where most projects with a relevant consideration are picked up by people who know their job.

8 Likes

The reason I though it could be a cool idea is because currenly there are no posts about reviewing each other forums. More experienced users/developers could suggest ideas, bugs, possible featuers and so on. I think it could be a great idea. What do you think? :stuck_out_tongue:

Several groups I’m part of have a Slack channel for quick, short communication. We use Discourse for workshops, courses and more ‘evergreen’ conversations.

Once you have two platforms, however, you’re often asking ‘where should I put this?’ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t follow here.
What do you mean by reviewing each other?
If you’re having any problems, you can always ask and share a link to your community, we are usually happy to help by looking into the issue and sharing possible solutions.

For bugs, if you find some, share in #bug it’ll be fixed depending on the nature of issue. If you find a security flaw with discourse, report it on discourse hackerone.

If you’ve got any other ideas, feel free to share in #feature and maybe those end up in a plugin or core some day.

Keyword here is two platforms.

This needs to be addressed by ethics. The audience shall know the difference between short talk and long discussion based on the type of topic they’re raising. I’m personally involved in many communities that integrate with products like slack & discord for instant chat but more often than not, both carry out a totally different subset of conversations with formal ideas and announcements taking place on discourse for better record keeping and informal conversations taking place on chat so that it is lost with time.

2 Likes