Chrome android not showing list of users when typing @ (mention) after last update

The feature of showing a popup with the list of users when you press ‘@’ is not working in my mobile device. I am using the last version of Chrome in an android device.

it was working last day so I thought it had to be something with the last version of the browser. I then tried my tablet and the feature WAS working before I updated Chrome. Afterwards I updated it with the last version and it is not working any more. I have been tinkering with the configuration of the browser but I was unsuccessful to make it work. I hope it is just a config option but please tell me what it can be.

On Firefox mobile it does work.

My users reported the same to me today. I don’t have an Android device to test it on but 3 people have mentioned it to me today.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Can you repro this @sam? Didn’t you make changes in this area recently?

(Sam Saffron) #4

will try soon … in my list…

(Steven Greco) #5

My users are also expirencing this as well. I have tested on my own device and while it works in the default android browser it does not within chrome.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Testing on 2013 Nexus 7 … @g

Indeed this is broken @sam you should fix asap.

(Sam Saffron) #7

Its a very complicated thing to fix, working on it this week, no idea how this ever worked on chrome for android, it has no keypress event.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Well clearly it used to work, so…

(Sam Saffron) #9

It used to sort of work

https://meta.discourse.org/t/mention-menu-not-updated-on-android-mobile/32827?source_topic_id=39242

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=118639

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Not really… I’m deleting that other topic as noise now. Situation has changed.

(Sam Saffron) #11

That other topic is the reason this broke.

Chrome for android never handled the keypress event, we used to have a partial workaround in place, we never had a complete workaround/solution in place.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

Official response from Feb 12th:

The simple answer is: It’s not going to happen. I tried several times using different concepts, and each introduces a set of problems that is “bigger” than than this issue.

If you’re thinking in terms of key-codes on a mobile platform, you’re limiting yourself. Mobile does swipes and voice-transcription and who knows what other kinds of input. Any attempt to rely upon key-codes is going to alienate some subset of your users.

I tried to get this working for a long time after it had generally been agreed that it was not going to work out well no matter how it was implemented. I held out hope because it seemed a good thing to do it at all feasible. I was eventually forced to agree that it is not.

(Sam Saffron) #13

Yeah I know, hence its a tricky workaround… I am working on it right now.

(Sam Saffron) #14

This should be fixed now… test on meta… flag to reopen if still an issue

(Sam Saffron) #15

(Sam Saffron) #16

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #17

Just saw this reopen. I just autocompleted @sam from my android tablet in chrome. @codinghorror works too…

(Sam Saffron) #18

@tgxworld mentioned it was playing up, so leaving open for now

(Steven Greco) #19

This works on my site as well now. Tested with my GS5 in Chorme. Thanks for the quick fix.

i can confirm it is working for me now. Also the : for the list of emoticons is working again. Thank you for the fix.