Chrome android not showing list of users when typing @ (mention) after last update

The feature of showing a popup with the list of users when you press ‘@’ is not working in my mobile device. I am using the last version of Chrome in an android device.

it was working last day so I thought it had to be something with the last version of the browser. I then tried my tablet and the feature WAS working before I updated Chrome. Afterwards I updated it with the last version and it is not working any more. I have been tinkering with the configuration of the browser but I was unsuccessful to make it work. I hope it is just a config option but please tell me what it can be.

On Firefox mobile it does work.

4 Likes

My users reported the same to me today. I don’t have an Android device to test it on but 3 people have mentioned it to me today.

1 Like

Can you repro this @sam? Didn’t you make changes in this area recently?

will try soon … in my list…

1 Like

My users are also expirencing this as well. I have tested on my own device and while it works in the default android browser it does not within chrome.

1 Like

Testing on 2013 Nexus 7 … @g

Indeed this is broken @sam you should fix asap.

1 Like

Its a very complicated thing to fix, working on it this week, no idea how this ever worked on chrome for android, it has no keypress event.

1 Like

Well clearly it used to work, so…

It used to sort of work

https://meta.discourse.org/t/mention-menu-not-updated-on-android-mobile/32827

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=118639

Not really… I’m deleting that other topic as noise now. Situation has changed.

That other topic is the reason this broke.

Chrome for android never handled the keypress event, we used to have a partial workaround in place, we never had a complete workaround/solution in place.

Official response from Feb 12th:

The simple answer is: It’s not going to happen. I tried several times using different concepts, and each introduces a set of problems that is “bigger” than than this issue.

If you’re thinking in terms of key-codes on a mobile platform, you’re limiting yourself. Mobile does swipes and voice-transcription and who knows what other kinds of input. Any attempt to rely upon key-codes is going to alienate some subset of your users.

I tried to get this working for a long time after it had generally been agreed that it was not going to work out well no matter how it was implemented. I held out hope because it seemed a good thing to do it at all feasible. I was eventually forced to agree that it is not.

Yeah I know, hence its a tricky workaround… I am working on it right now.

2 Likes

This should be fixed now… test on meta… flag to reopen if still an issue

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/32d3dd22a0f1722ce86776fee5b982e31beb06ed

4 Likes

Just saw this reopen. I just autocompleted @sam from my android tablet in chrome. @codinghorror works too…

@tgxworld mentioned it was playing up, so leaving open for now

2 Likes

This works on my site as well now. Tested with my GS5 in Chorme. Thanks for the quick fix.

3 Likes

i can confirm it is working for me now. Also the : for the list of emoticons is working again. Thank you for the fix.

4 Likes