Comments are only being linked to despite settings to show them

Here is a side by side of my settings, and the site’s front-end:

It also doesn’t work with Ajax. I disabled the caching plugin, still no cigar.

The theme is custom, and is just loading comments using the standard comments template like so:

<?php
comments_template();
?>

Any suggestions on how to debug this?

I am using the webhook setting to send these, and looking at the webhook logs I see a 200 for the comment being sent to the WP site.

I also only get the linked comments when manually putting in the Discourse Comments block at the bottom of posts.

Also, on the posts page in the admin, I can see the comment count next to the post. So its definitely got them in there.

Here is the generated HTML:

<div id="comments" class="comments-area">
	<div class="respond comment-respond">
		<h3 id="reply-title" class="comment-reply-title">
			Join the discussion at 	<a class="wpdc-discourse-topic-link" href="https://slowtwitch.northend.network/t/on-sam-laidlow-s-im-world-championship-validation-debacle/2236073">slowtwitch.northend.network</a>
		</h3>
	</div>
</div>
2 Likes

Firstly, are there any posts in the linked topics? Could you share an example? Sorry for the basic question, but I have to ask that first.

What do you mean by this? Could you describe what you’re doing here.

1 Like

Absolutely, here is the wordpress post: On Sam Laidlow’s IM World Championship Validation Debacle – Slowtwitch Blog

Here is the corresponding post in discourse: On Sam Laidlow’s IM World Championship Validation Debacle - Triathlon Forum - Slowtwitch (northend.network)

In terms of using the comments block, I went into the post and put in the gutenberg block called “Discourse Comments”, and it just outputs the same link as the call to comments_template();

1 Like

I don’t use it either

but love this plugin so paying attention :+1:

Those are new comments, mine often take awhile to propagate

I figured since I was using the webhook, it would be basically instant. However, the oldest comment is north of 15 hrs old.

1 Like

Thanks Ross. Could you please share the meta file from the Log Viewer.

2 Likes

This file is included in log downloads

Server

WordPress - 6.6.1
PHP - 8.2.9
MySQL - 10.7.8

Active Plugins

Advanced Ads - 1.52.4
Advanced Ads Pro - 2.26.2
Advanced Ads – Tracking - 2.7.1
Advanced Custom Fields PRO - 6.3.4
Duplicator Pro - 4.5.18.1
Font Awesome - 4.5.0
Migrate Guru - 5.65
No Category Base (WPML) - 1.3
Redirection - 5.4.2
SVG Support - 2.5.5
Under Construction - 4.01
W3 Total Cache - 2.7.4
WP-Discourse - 2.5.4
WP Mail SMTP - 4.1.0

WP Discourse Settings (Secrets Excluded)

connection-logs - 1
display-subcategories - 0
allow-tags - 0
max-tags - 5
publish-as-unlisted - 0
full-post-content - 1
custom-excerpt-length - 55
add-featured-link - 0
auto-publish - 1
force-publish - 0
force-publish-max-age - 0
publish-failure-notice - 0
auto-track - 1
allowed_post_types - post
exclude_tags -
hide-discourse-name-field - 0
discourse-username-editable - 0
direct-db-publication-flags - 0
verbose-publication-logs - 0
enable-discourse-comments - 1
comment-type - display-comments
ajax-load - 0
load-comment-css - 1
discourse-new-tab - 0
hide-wordpress-comments - 1
show-existing-comments - 0
max-comments - 5
min-replies - 1
min-score - 0
min-trust-level - 1
bypass-trust-level-score - 50
only-show-moderator-liked - 0
custom-datetime-format -
cache-html - 0
clear-cached-comment-html - 0
verbose-comment-logs - 1
use-discourse-webhook - 1
webhook-match-old-topics - 0
use-discourse-user-webhook - 0
webhook-match-user-email - 0
verbose-webhook-logs - 0
verbose-sso-logs - 1
enable-sso - 0
auto-create-sso-user - 0
real-name-as-discourse-name - 0
force-avatar-update - 0
redirect-without-login - 0
sso-client-enabled - 1
sso-client-login-form-change - 1
sso-client-sync-by-email - 1
sso-client-disable-create-user - 0
sso-client-sync-logout - 0
logs-enabled - 1

Ok I figured out the issue!

First off, thank you SO MUCH for your help. Sorry to have you digging on my behalf. I took some time to understand discourse and its features, and the issue became very apparent…

In my settings, the user must have a trust level of 1 or greater. Everyone has a trust level of 0 right now. This is a 35 yr old forum being moved over from some ancient tech, so there is tons of content being moved, but nothing that indicates trust level. I will adjust these for users.

Since there are well over 100k users, is there a solution for doing this in bulk?

Glad you figured out the issue.

Yes, there is, however I’d suggest considering this in some depth first as a community management issue before you consider how to do this programmatically. If you haven’t already done a deep-dive on trust levels check out

Then, if it were me, I’d identify a few groups of users (perhaps your old solution still had some kind of user grouping?) that you want to grant higher trust levels, i.e. 3 and 4. This will be mostly a manual process. For the lower levels, i.e. 1 and 2, it’d have to be in bulk. You could perhaps map some user metadata from your old forum to the trust level heuristics. Or come up with some basic rules. The code itself is relatively simple, but I wouldn’t just copy/paste the code in the topic for 100k users.

More broadly, your best bet would probably be for your discourse hosting provider to handle the migration for you, as this is something they often deal with and will have sophisticated solutions for.

Thank you!

We are the hosting provider, as well as the devs. This is just our first exposure to Discourse.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.