Completely Edit Welcome Message

Upon a new member registering for Discourse, they are sent a message by the system (or whatever account you specify) introducing them to the community. Upon some investigation, it seems I can’t edit the entire message, only certain parts!

This part seems to be included by default!

We believe in civilized community behavior at all times.

Enjoy your stay!

(If you need to communicate with staff members as a new user, just reply to this message.)

Any chance this can change? I don’t know about everyone else, but I would like my main site’s welcome message to be fully adaptable to the individual website!

Upon looking at the Main Discourse Repo, the config /locales/server.en.yml file seems to be where the default message is being hard coded. Any chance this could change?

You should be able to change this in your admin area.

1 Like

That’s soo strange… I do not see that at all!

Oh wait… my link refers to system_messages.usage_tips.text_body_template which is what is included when a user is sent a message upon sign on.

What you’re referring to is system_messages.welcome_user.text_body_template.

Checking the discourse repo here, it seems the welcome_user action is defined when a user activates his account (so I’m a little confused since my setup doesn’t have any such variable in Customize > Text Content Section

The only editable text content listed for me are the following:

Hi, it seems there are still some hardcoded parts to the welcome message. I’d also suggest that it be fully editable. As always, I welcome correction if I’m misunderstanding this!

Can you post an example of the text you are unable to customize? All visible text in Discourse should be localisable - if it’s not then we’ll get it fixed.

2 Likes

Sure! Here’s the part I can’t customize - it isn’t included in the “system_messages.usage_tips.text_body_template”

That’s not the usage_tips message

2 Likes

So those are merged together into one message?

Ah yes, you’re right - they are combined. The system_messages.welcome_user.text_body_template includes the usage_tips variable. The usage_tips variable is generated from system_messages.usage_tips.text_body_template.

4 Likes

I see. Perhaps bringing these templates together into one message would make it easier to edit? I’ll go edit my welcome_user templates. :slight_smile:

That text is used in other areas though, so it would then be hard-coded and duplicated across multiple messages … there’s a reason it is the way it is.

4 Likes

Hi, I fully trust that answer. Discourse is brilliant.

The question that remains, then, is for an average admin like me, what is the best way to understand when/where some of these messages are used in a person’s journey through the community?

I find that searching with the admin UI works well, but I guess that depends on a combination of familiarity, luck and search fu.

Maybe you can help with the familiarity aspect by scanning / searching the locale yml files?

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/tree/master/config/locales

Hi, thanks for the link. I’ll check those out as I can. If there could be just in time “tips” within the software to help expose where the various messages are used, that would be amazing. That is probably actually a massive amount of time/effort related to the benefit, so I can understand it might not be a priority.

This topic was automatically closed after 31 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.