Contributor Interviews – Daniela "Trash" (now Dax)

I would add that @Trash is the MVP of plugin feedback :slight_smile:

+1.

Pretty much everything is explained somewhere, but good explanations can sometimes be hard to find, even if you’ve been here for a while.

If you ever need help with something technical let me know. You’ve helped me a bunch in the past.

There are more women here than I realised. Which is great.

I completely understand why people don’t want to make an issue of their gender. However at the same time, tech-focused communities always feel inherently ‘male’. You just assume that everyone is male (and probably white, or Indian, or Chinese). It would be great if we could shift that perception. I think (in fact I know) that some people avoid getting involved in online tech-focused communities because they feel they are ‘boys clubs’.

If there were a better way of representing diversity, which made people feel comfortable and without being too ‘cute’ or ‘preachy’ about it, I think it would make communities feel even more accessible. So that people from different backgrounds / genders / ethnicities could feel like “hey there are folks just like me here too”.

Of course meta is already an inclusive community and far from the worst examples of communities with a diversity issue. In fact it’s one of the most diverse and inclusive tech-focused communities I’ve come across. But ‘Discourse’ as the leading community platform, could have an approach that incrementally improves this issue (technical or non-technical).

15 Likes