📄 Copy Post Component

:newspaper: Overview

This is a simple theme component that adds a :page_facing_up: Copy button to the post menu control section of every post. Clicking the button will copy the entire contents of the post to the user’s clipboard.

:computer: Code

:framed_picture: Preview

:mag: See Theme Creator Demo
Example Usage

Install Theme Component

20 Likes

Great theme component! Thanks

2 Likes

What happens to formatting and media?

2 Likes

@Zup

May need to make some improvements in this area but currently:

• media is not copied
  • formatting will be gone (i.e. plain text only) however, line breaks from <p> tags will be present.
2 Likes

Hope this can be updated to include media and formatting when pasted in Discourse.

2 Likes

@Zup

Yes, definitely something I’ll be looking to improve in the future.

However, in the meantime, I’ve added a setting to copy the raw HTML content instead. If you set this to true, the copy button will copy the raw HTML of the post instead of the plain text. This way you should have the formatting and media.

4 Likes

Super! :clap:

Maybe a second button, Duplicate, (in the moderator gear icon area?) to automatically copy the entire contents of the post into a new topic with "DUPLICATE: " appended to the beginning of the title?

Anyway, very handy as is, thanks!

3 Likes

Maybe make the button do a request to /raw/topic_id/post_number so you can copy the real post content? This way it will act like the very useful Reddit Enhancement Suite “Source” button.

6 Likes

Similar component already exists: Raw post button.

Adding a copy button to the modal of that component would combine both approaches, what do you think @keegan @Johani?

4 Likes

@md-misko Yup I think that’s a great idea. Since I created a widget for the copy button, I believe it can be quite simply copied over to be used in the modal.

3 Likes

Is there any trick to show the button to logged in users only?

1 Like

@Jagster

There is now! :smiley: I’ve added a setting to apply a minimum trust level to show the widget. Configuring it to 0 will make it so only logged in users can see the button.

3 Likes

Why can’t we put two thumbs up when it is earned :wink:

1 Like

:+1: :+1:

Now @keegan has them. :smiley:

1 Like

This wasn’t working on a new install.
The min_trust_level wasn’t selectable in Admin.
edit: component was functioning but wasn’t displaying correctly in Admin

I forked the repo and got it working but I set min_trust_level as an integer
So (5) = ‘disabled’ (0-4) as expected. So a small rewrite.

I haven’t done a PR … as it’s a simplification … perhaps someone else can confirm the component isn’t working?

2 Likes

Hey @geoff777 I’ve tested this on a new install and it seems to be working correctly for me.
Also if I do apply those changes, the issue with using setting the min_trust_level as an integer in the settings.yml file is that the 0 value isn’t appearing in the dropdown.

2 Likes

Any of values, except disabled, isn’t appearing in the box when selected. AFAIK any of values is in use, though.

4 Likes

Ah sorry, my mistake, I thought you meant you changed the strings in the enum to integers, but you meant you used the integer type instead. Yes, that seems like a better approach. I’ve updated the theme component to support that. Hopefully this should fix any of the issues.

3 Likes