Create new category button not appearing for moderator

Hi - I just noted that the create category button has been removed with a recent update.

I was able to create categories before and I find the feature to be very helpful to organise our knowledge base. Can you please advise on why the ability has been removed and on if / how I can get back the ability to create new categories?

Thank You

I assume you are an admin for the site you are talking about? Are you logged in?

I am not sure whether this is the case for you, but if you click on ‘Categories’ in your main hamburger menu, you should come to the page with all categories listed and on here you should have a secondary hamburger menu option. Click this to add ‘new category’

4 Likes

This is precisely what is missing now (however I used to be able to do it before).

But can you confirm that you are logged in and still set as an admin account?

I know it is a very basic issue, but I’ve had a case (error in SSO process) that removed my admin rights in the past, so it is worth checking. Regular or anonymous users will see what you are seeing AFAIK

1 Like

I’m an admin on the account and I can still do it but Mark is not an admin. However, he has trust level 4 and could previously set the category himself. Is the ability to create categories an admin only privilege and if so, has this always been the case?

Yes admins can only create categories by default. If you enabled the SiteSetting moderators create categories then moderators can also create new categories.

3 Likes

Thanks. But a trust level 4 does not make someone a moderator. That’s a separate flag isn’t it?

Yes. TL4 and moderator groups are different. . You can see TL4 user privileges in link below. It’s seems like topic level moderator.

https://meta.discourse.org/badges/4/Leader

4 Likes