Creating a new forum

Does anyone know how I can create a Discourse forum?

The very first consideration while creating a new forum will be to how You plan to host it.

You can either host directly with discourse.org
Or choose to host with a 3rd Party
Or choose to self host.

In the first 2 cases, You are usually good to go as soon as you sign up and Your new forum shall be up & running.

If You choose to self host, this guide will come in Handy

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

You’ll need:

1. A Fully Qualified Domain Name
  2. An Ubuntu 18.04 VPS with at least 1GB (2GB Recommended) RAM & a Fast enough CPU.
  3. An Email service provider.

Please feel free to ask if You have any specific questions.

8 Likes

How do I host directly?

If by host directly you mean through Discourse as a hosting provider, you’d need to sign up here: https://payments.discourse.org/pricing

6 Likes

Is there any other way because I am a teenager with no credit cards so I can’t directly host it.

I have a windows 7 laptop tho so can I still create a new forum?

You can probably fiddle around locally in a testing environment but can’t make it public since Your home broadband isn’t probably the best thing to host a public facing website.

What do you mean by that?

That:

• your ISP may block access to your IP on port 80 / 443 to stop you hosting a server on it
  • your IP may be dynamic and DNS on dynamic IPs is more complicated
  • depending on your connectivity you may not have the upstream to host

Plus:

• laptops don’t typically contain hardware that is fast enough to run servers for any number of users.

Because I really wanted to create a discourse for a virtual airline of Infinite Flight so I want to know how to do it.

Infinite flight has a discourse forum already.

My suggestion is get a willing family member to help. Do you have any parent, uncle or auntie working in IT? Perhaps they can help you set up a VPS and give you control? Perhaps you can team up with them and show them the way? A great learning experience for all involved! This might even help fast-track you into a future career :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I think so. Thanks so much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.