Does anyone know how I can create a Discourse forum?
The very first consideration while creating a new forum will be to how You plan to host it.
You can either host directly with discourse.org
Or choose to host with a 3rd Party
Or choose to self host.
In the first 2 cases, You are usually good to go as soon as you sign up and Your new forum shall be up & running.
If You choose to self host, this guide will come in Handy
- A Fully Qualified Domain Name
- An Ubuntu 18.04 VPS with at least 1GB (2GB Recommended) RAM & a Fast enough CPU.
- An Email service provider.
Please feel free to ask if You have any specific questions.
How do I host directly?
If by host directly you mean through Discourse as a hosting provider, you’d need to sign up here: Discourse pricing | Discourse - Civilized Discussion
Is there any other way because I am a teenager with no credit cards so I can’t directly host it.
I have a windows 7 laptop tho so can I still create a new forum?
You can probably fiddle around locally in a testing environment but can’t make it public since Your home broadband isn’t probably the best thing to host a public facing website.
What do you mean by that?
- your ISP may block access to your IP on port 80 / 443 to stop you hosting a server on it
- your IP may be dynamic and DNS on dynamic IPs is more complicated
- depending on your connectivity you may not have the upstream to host
- laptops don’t typically contain hardware that is fast enough to run servers for any number of users.
Because I really wanted to create a discourse for a virtual airline of Infinite Flight so I want to know how to do it.
Infinite flight has a discourse forum already.
My suggestion is get a willing family member to help. Do you have any parent, uncle or auntie working in IT? Perhaps they can help you set up a VPS and give you control? Perhaps you can team up with them and show them the way? A great learning experience for all involved! This might even help fast-track you into a future career
I think so. Thanks so much.
This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.