Dealing with some 'small' HTML abuse

So here’s an interesting problem.

Some of our users (young ones, particularly) have taken to nesting <small> tags to render text effectively unreadable. Aside from just reprimanding them (which feels like overkill because it’s obnoxious, but not against the rules) are there any suggestions for how to prevent this on the back end?

You can see how easy this is to do (and abuse) in the following line:

Example of the small text is here. I can say whatever I want and it requires extra steps for you to read!

Dealing with this requires moderators to actively edit the post to read it or copy and paste.

3 Likes

Override the tag style via CSS?

.cooked {
    small {
        &, small {
            font-size: 1em;
        }
    }
}

Or if you want the tag small still working but prevent the nesting thing,

.cooked {
    small {
        font-size: .7579em;
        small {
            font-size: 1em;
        }
    }
}

0.7579em being the default value.

12 Likes

Shouldn’t the moderators deal with abusers? Suspend the user for increasing periods for each flagged post containing abuse.

7 Likes

We can go the moderation route, but to be honest, these are kids (13 and 14, mostly) and I would prefer the more frictionless option of just preventing it and letting them know why I prevented it. They aren’t deliberately trying to avoid moderation, they’re just trying to emphasize their feelings when they communicate, if that makes sense. They are feeling small and unimportant, and are demonstrating this through literal text sizing.

7 Likes

Is this CSS set by theme, or elsewhere? I haven’t done much CSS styling, so I’m not entirely positive where to put this. (This is ideal, btw.)

2 Likes

If you don’t have custom styles yet, I think the best way is creating a new theme component.
Admin -> customize -> components -> create new component
Add the component to your themes.
Still in your custom theme settings, go in edit HTML/CSS, then CSS tab.
Paste the chosen CSS code, save, and voilà. :+1:t6:

8 Likes

Beautiful. Solution implemented, they get their smaller text, and I can READ their posts. Perfect. Thank you!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.