Delete the Staff Category?

(Ryan Anderson) #1

I can’t figure out for the life of me how to delete the “Staff” category.

Have tried deleting all of the topics however 4 of them remain in the list. When I go to the Edit screen, it says cannot delete as it has 3 topics.

Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Thanks!

(⛰️) #2

Is there a specific reason you want to delete it?

To my knowledge, that category is also used to upload images that may be needed to brand and style the ui itself.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Deleting this built-in category is not supported, or recommended.

(Ryan Anderson) #4

Ok, I’m not even going to ask why. Having a message to this effect in the UI would be really helpful. Right now it says two misleading things:

1. “Warning: This category is a pre-seeded category and the security settings cannot be edited. If you do not wish to use this category, delete it instead of repurposing it.”

2. “Can’t delete this category because it has 3 topics.”

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Mainly because the terms of service, privacy policy, and guidelines / faq are in the Staff category and required for all sites. Note the count of topics I just referred to : three.

(Ryan Anderson) #6

Thanks for the explanation. For me, that doesn’t feel like a strong reason to keep control of it.

If it remains, another helpful indicator would be to tell the user why the topics can’t be deleted. Right now, when you click delete, nothing happens.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

If you would prefer to use different software that better meets your needs, feel free.

(Ryan Anderson) #8

Discourse is great. I’m sure each design decision has solid thinking behind it and so I was only trying express my point of view for your consideration.