Deleted posts easy to miss in a user's profile -> activity

I have a bunch of users that have posted filler replies. They might be spammers trying to build reputation, or just insufficiently educated about the topic. I’ve deleted those replies, and here’s one such user’s activity page:

With “2 deleted posts” tucked away in the top left, I’m not sure other moderators will be able to easily see the potential spammy nature of the account, since it appears almost identical to a new user’s activity:

Would it be a good idea to move that bit of information in the .user-right div? On counter-argument would be that users with a good history would have it more visibly marred by having deleted posts. Was this the rationale for having the deleted posts count where it is now?

Seems fine where it is now to me.

There was a bug that @eviltrout fixed less than a week ago where stuff deleted through Akismet (or the post queue) was not properly added to the denormalized user actions, so that’s probably what you are seeing… this can be closed.

Actually it was worse than this! Post actions were not recovered when a post was deleted in any way. It’s fixed now.

3 Likes

I haven’t installed Akisment. Those two posts were deleted manually by me.

IMO having posts deleted is part of a user’s activity that should be visible, at least to moderators. So I think adding that to the normal user activity stream (i.e. what you see in the .user-right div at, say, Profile - codinghorror - Discourse Meta) would make sense.

Not sure if this is related (but didn’t find an answer anywhere else), how do I get rid of this “deleted posts” notification?

You can’t?

That is there to allow you to view previously deleted posts. Similar to something like Wikipedia, nothing is ever “really deleted.” It is still in the database somewhere…

1 Like

Ugh, so this will always be there? I thought once I acknowledged the deleted post, at least the notification will be gone?

If I am interpreting your (very limited) screenshot correctly, you are looking at a user profile page. That is not a notification, and yes, it will always be there.

Yes it’s in fact my own user profile page. Is there a reason why this should always be there? I mean what value does it add other than being bright red and bothering people? :wink:

Well…you should be able to click on it to see what posts of yours have been deleted. For me as a moderator of a discourse instance, being able to see deleted posts can be very important. Let’s say I am a new moderator (I actually am, less than a month…) and a user has made some inappropriate posts. I delete them, but then notice there are a lot of posts already deleted. I can review them and see that this user has been making inappropriate posts since before I joined the forum. Now I might decide to do something more, like issue an official warning via PM.

There are likely many more cases where one would need access to that information, but I can agree for most users it is not useful. Maybe there could be a UI change for non-moderator/admin users so it is not so jarring?

Yes I completely understand its purpose, but I would imagine just like any other notification on the internet, once you acknowledged it, it goes away, and I could still access the deleted posts somewhere else.

1 Like

This is only visible to staff. Not sure what your issue is? Are you staff?

I am staff, I just imagine that over time I will feel annoyed by a notification that won’t ever go away :slight_smile: directly violating the logic of notifications… so consider it a design logic feedback…

Technically it isn’t a Notification.

True, it’s a number in a circle but it’s just there for when needed, not like it keeps getting in your use flow

Or are you saying you would rather have it be in a menu somewhere?

1 Like

FWIW, I’ve always interpreted the number of deleted messages in my profile as informational, rather than as a notification, because it doesn’t appear in the notifications area.

It does look a tad like a notification though. Maybe a subtle change in the shape of the number div (rectangle vs. circle) would alleviate the problem.