Deprecation notices

Our error log consists mostly of dozens of messages similar to this:

Deprecation notice: SiteSetting.enable_personal_messages has been deprecated. Please use SiteSetting.personal_message_enabled_groups instead. (removal in Discourse 3.0)
At /var/www/discourse/lib/site_setting_extension.rb:211:in public_send

Are these going to go away? Do we have to wait until the formal 3.0.0 to see the end of them? Maybe I have missed something but I don’t see any way to update these settings according to the messages.

4 Likes

These notices are caused by plugins. They’re not going to go away, the plugins are going to stop working / break your install at some point in time instead.

So you should find out which plugin is causing these notices and contact the plugin author and ask them to update the plugin.

1 Like

I see. The only plugin I have is docker_manager. Wouldn’t disabling that be a bad idea?

2 Likes

:thinking: A theme component maybe?

BTW I never recommended you to disable any plugin?

Maybe you started with an ancient version of Discourse and somehow on upgrades the old setting was never converted to the new. This is just a wild guess. What’s your value for personal message enabled groups?

We got this too:

Deprecation notice: SiteSetting.secure_media has been deprecated. Please use SiteSetting.secure_uploads instead. (removal in Discourse 3.0)

At /var/www/discourse/lib/site_setting_extension.rb:211:in public_send

Deprecation notices are for developers, so unless you are a developer there isn’t much for you to do with it.

2 Likes

I have lots of both of these warnings too (just checked!)

Thanks for clarify this :relaxed:

trust_level_1 is the setting I see.

Yes but all I see in the Error Lo g is dozens or repetitions of these messages, and it’s very hard to find what I want. for example, mail bounce log items. I see I am not alone - others have this same issue.

Click on the checkbox to hide warnings or on the cog menu to add a Suppression Pattern to hide those.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Discourse Manager is a plugin that allows you to run updates from /admin. Discourse can work without it just fine.

See:

Yeah me too. I just wondered whether maybe that wasn’t set at all.

Why can’t they be removed/fixed? Everyone on this forum is fantastically helpful, don’t get me wrong, but this is not at all resolved. I still do not understand where I start to troubleshoot this. I am not a Ruby on Rails developer, so I don’t know.

What is site_setting_extension.rb? Thank you for your patience.

I think that the messages aren’t meant for you. :wink:

1 Like

Which is why they are so annoying. :slight_smile:

I’m on 3.0 but still get these message appearing :thinking:

Along with another one:

Deprecation notice: SiteSetting.secure_media has been deprecated. Please use SiteSetting.secure_uploads instead. (removal in Discourse 3.0) At /var/www/discourse/lib/site_setting_extension.rb:211

Any suggestions on how to work out which plugin is causing these warnings?

Before this happens :scream: