Desktop PWA works with Discourse!

Here is how the PWA prompt currently looks in Chrome 88.0.4324.150

9 Likes

The new icon is so much better. I kept mixing up the old one with the zoomed-in icon.

6 Likes

How do you use this on Desktop without a back button?

3 Likes

You can use with keyboard shortcuts now.

Screenshot 2021-02-06 at 11.08.39

7 Likes

Thanks I need to be in ‘alert’ mode sitting up properly to use the mouse and keyboard.

I tend to just use the mouse and sit back in the chair when I’m scrolling and reading.

I do prefer the PWA but I think I need a back and a forward button to navigate in my usual way…

8 Likes

Back button and refresh button are there, but there’s no forward button. Its also unfortunate that PWAs only work in Chromium browsers.

Microsoft Edge still has the old icon.
Also, it appears that XenForo only just recently gained PWA support. The competitors are slacking! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Those features seem to be native to PWAs now. Awesome! How about a “forward” button now?

Has that been fixed yet? I don’t see it in Chrome OS.

They finally changed it. :slight_smile:
The PWA install process is completed in the blink of an eye too. PWAs immediately open and they feel so fast and fluid on all of my devices (especially Chrome OS :sweat_smile:).

7 Likes

Somebody linked this article in a different topic (I quickly skimmed through it and was immediately interested), but I was wondering if the Discourse PWA supports this at the moment. I would like to confirm that it works, but I don’t have a Chromebook on hand.

3 Likes

This text briefly appears in Microsoft Edge when you visit a website that has a PWA version.
It looks different in Google Chrome.

1 Like

I wonder how well this feature works with Discourse… :thinking:

I’m excited to try it out. Having all sorts of different topic in multiple tab groups in the Discourse PWA sounds absolutely amazing!

1 Like

I just happened on the PWA in discuss.dgraph.io - I quite like it.
So, I went looking for the PWA on another instance, forum.stackstorm.org, and I couldn’t find the prompt.

If I dismissed the prompt at some point, would that prevent me from seeing it? I just tried dismissing the prompt here a meta.discourse.org, but that didn’t seem to remove the ~prompt~ icon in the address bar.

Is there any way to get the PWA prompt (back)? Or any idea why the prompt is missing on forum.stackstorm.org?

1 Like

Do you mean https://forum.stackstorm.com/ ?

Their logo is JPEG instead of PNG, so they don’t have the prompt.

We save the dismiss on the local device, but we only control what is displayed on the webpage. The address bar is outside our control, and the icon is displayed by the browser if a site meets a minimum criteria.

They can fix the logo, or you can force it anyway via 3 dots menu → More Tools → Create Shortcut → Check the “Open in a window” option and hit the create.

7 Likes

Oops. Yes.

:exploding_head: Wow. Thank you. I will see if I can get that changed.
I was surfing the code (searching in dev tools) trying to figure out what was missing. I don’t think I would have looked at the logo.

Cool that works!

Thank you! Thank you!

7 Likes

Is that the same thing as installing a PWA? I thought that doesn’t have the actual benefits of PWA and is more or less just a regular old web app… :thinking:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Implement Badging API

Will this break the Discourse PWA?

4 Likes

Finally solved! :grin:

4 Likes

This feature continues to evolve; here’s what the very latest PWA prompt looks like in Chrome:

Pretty nice! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

Very nice! That same popup feature is coming to Microsoft Edge very soon. :slight_smile:

What does the popup look like on mobile devices? I haven’t gotten the chance to check yet.

I came here to share that the folks over at the Edge team are continuously working to make PWAs feel like native apps. With Windows 10, we are taking a few baby steps.

Windows Central wrote a great article explaining the benefits.

Best regards,

Jordi

5 Likes

Can you ask those folks to check 1091612 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail ? Would make Discourse desktop PWAs story on Windows better :slightly_smiling_face:.

7 Likes