Different user settings options per user profile

I have a forum where I want to have two kinds of users - the first kind being full users that can access all topics and categories, and who have normal access to user settings, and the second kind who can only access one topic category, and who have no access or limited access to user settings (for example I don’t want mail-list mode, or post by email functionality to be available to the second category, even though it is available to the first category)

How should this best be achieved?

I believe that there’s a setting to determine what user level is required for email in.

You could hide the mailing list mode setting with css, which users could work around. If you are afraid that they will then you’d need a plugin to enforce the rule.

2 Likes

Thanks @pfaffman - I see the trust level setting for emailing-in of posts.

Presumably there is a way to lock certian users who sign up to trust level 1 (say) forever, without restricting other users? So that trust level is unaffected by level of experiance for those users?

Is is possible/worth requesting that a similar email trust level setting is added to control mailing list mode via core functionality rather than relying on plugin?

I presume anyone else not wanting email in is also very likely not to want mailing list mode active, given that a mailing list mode context is the main use case for emailing in?

Hate the idea of getting a plugin made for a single trivial purpose, that likely just gets broken in some future update.

If it comes down to css, can this even be made conditional on user trust level?

I am basically trying to maintain privacy and restrict access to most topic categories to only full users, while making one topic categoriy available to the public for more casual interaction - but I still don’t want to make it easy for users of the public area to email even these discussion threads to people who are not vetted users at all, or to make record copies that do not reflect the most recent edit to a post (low but nontrivial litigation risk if a post is carelessly worded, especially if it is also disseminated beyond the forum)