Users are getting "Your account does not have the required trust level..." error message via email

We are enjoying using Discourse very much be have a specific issues I’d like to resolve.

We have two ways users can ask for support:

1. Join the forum and ask a question
  2. Send a mail to our support email, which creates a new topic in a private category.

When a user makes an account and then sends an email to our support email they are receiving a automated reply from Discourse telling them that,

Your account does not have the required trust level to post new topics to this email address.

I am unsure how to fix this?

I found this settings but cannot test this will work?

After reading Making `email in min trust` site setting more consistent with `Accept email from anonymous users without account` category setting I think it is likely the email in allowed groups setting

Are your users allowed to post in that private category?

2 Likes

Yes! A private category.

I think having email-in set up for a group inbox works better for this (currently, at least)

2 Likes

Hey Jammy,

Sorry to hear you are leaving. Thanks so much for all the help getting us started.

So I have set

• send email messages allowed groups and added all trust levels.
  • email in allowed groups and added all trust levels.

None of these worked, unfortunately.

Maybe because we are using a private category is the problem?

I need something that is equivalent to this in the category settings, that will let people post but, counterintuitively, not see the category, but because the emails are doing to the posting that is fine.

I have this settings enabled, does that cause a problem? I enabled it so that when the use comes over to join the site there is continuity.

Hi Daniel,

The feature you’re looking for, where users are allowed to post but cannot see the category itself, is not directly supported by the default Discourse settings.

You could enable the Accept emails from anonymous users with no accounts for your category to allow users without a Discourse account to post to it via email.

However, if the user does have an account, your current security settings will prevent them from creating posts, unless the Create checkbox under security is checked for a group that they belong to - keeping in mind that they would need to be able to See the category in order to create topics in the category.

4 Likes

Which features of a private category are you using? Have you considered using a group inbox?

Rather than a private category, all incoming email is turned into a personal message. Any of your staff users in that group would see it, and users could sign up and see only their PMs. This is how we run our team inbox here at Discourse!

2 Likes

@maiki @SaraDev thanks so much for the helpful and detailed replies!

I can confirm I have the “Accept emails from anonymous users with no accounts” enabled on the private category.

We have chosen to use categories rather than groups because theses are support email; we would like to move good questions over to the visible part of the side once they have been answered.

Can anyone suggest a workaround on how to use this with categories. I hope this use case can be supported some how?

I guess currently not

But you can also publish the message from the group inbox to a category with the 'make public topic" option in the wrench menu.

So using a group inbox could be your workaround

2 Likes

It is a different set of permissions, but topics and PMs may be converted back and forth. FYI. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just realised that disabling the Email Reject Insufficient Trust Level is actually a perfect solution to this problem.

Can I disable this email from being sent?