Disable 10000 maximum replies option

I was suggesting that video game forums based on Discourse community should have the option to disable the “10000 maximum replies” option so that threads like best infinite flight(a flight simulator) photo thread would still be open even after it reached a maximum of 10000 replies. Only staffs and moderators have the option to disable 10000 maximum replies in a topic(only if they feel like a topic needs to be closed). I am not sure if this is a good idea or not

This is already the case, there is a site setting that staff can set. We don’t recommend it per The MEGATOPIC: public good, or public menace?

3 Likes

Where is the site setting located

Where is this PC?

If you followed: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

The setting is there:

If you did not follow our official guide then … sorry we can not help.

3 Likes

I run it via Microsoft windows 7 laptop

Actually it’s very very common in videogame communities for megatopics to be closed and new continuation topics be started for precisely the reasons given in the topic linked above.

It’s not some arbitrary and draconian limit. That feature is there to protect performance for the whole community.

5 Likes

Is this from mobile or does it also applies to PC

Are you running discourse on a Windows 7 laptop, or just remotely administering it from that system.

That setting is visible on mobile and desktop.

I am using it via Windows 7 laptop but does only moderators and staffs have access to these settings?

Yes users can’t override it. Lots of topics over 10000 posts will quickly eat up server resources, which is why the limit exists.

Only staff/admins are in a position to decide if they need topics over the advised limit, and accept the implications both in terms of reduced features, and the cost increases from above-average server resources.

2 Likes

what are the server resources?

The amount of CPU and memory used on the server by Discourse.

If the server is under resourced then the scaling issues introduced by megatopics can become detrimental to every user on the site.

1 Like