Disable topic edit notifications

Hey all - is there anyway to disable the notifications that users see if their topic was edited, particularly if it was edited by an admin?

I regularly edit topics, spelling, etc. And Discourse notifying a user of that is… awkward. Anyway to disable this?

5 Likes

Not that I know of, no. It’s an unusual request.

Aha, I found another as fastidious as me! I would like to see a toggle for this as well.

4 Likes

For the record, whenever you’ve edited my posts here, I’ve always thought “hmm… what did I do wrong? Why did he edit my post?” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And what made me ask this is someone on my site asked why I edited it. It’s just awkward and if it could be easily hidden that would be :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I think a “better” solution here would be to force an edit reason and then alert with that.

So, instead of:

edit glyph: topic title

It would be:

edit glyph: Jeff: fix typo, title link

Downside is that we would have to cull lengths to something sane.

2 Likes

I do not feel this is a better solution.

I have a private business forum and often edit clients’ posts so that things like Onebox work properly (youtube links that aren’t on a clear line etc).

The idea of the forum is to be an accurate record of business discussions and requests, so sometimes clients wonder why I’d be editing their posts.

I’d love this as a feature/option.

7 Likes

I’m also looking for this feature. I had to manually fix hundreds of posts after import (cosmetic edits due to formatting) but didn’t realize it was sending notifications to the users. It was terribly embarrassing, because it sends weird signals when it looks like someone else has edited your content, even if it was actually just formatting. (Revisions are not publicly visible for other reasons.)

The only way I’ve found to get around it at the moment is to SSH into the server and do it through the Rails console.I’ve also had to disable users’ ability to add tags, because it creates more work to have to SSH into the server to change/remove them. Adding new tags to posts is also awkward due to the notifications, so I’m switching to SSH for that too.

2 Likes

Would be really nice to have this feature. I also edit topics and don‘t want to be seen as the guy with ocd who edits the tiny spelling mistakes people make :smile:

1 Like

Was there ever a solution for this, this makes a lot of sense for moderators of forums. I was told people get an egregious amount of notifications from my edits

Hello @Valcoholics,
What kind of edits do you do that make your users get an “egregious amount” of notifications?

Hi,

We’re also looking for this option.

We migrated from one internal system to another, so we now need to update links for old topics.
We’re generating email notifications since updating the hyperlinks on the topics count as an edit.

It would be great to have a setting to disable topic edit notifications.

Thanks.