Does `disable tags edit notifications` work?

I have set the config option disable tags edit notifications so “Disable tags edit notifications on topics.” is checked.

I am, then, tagging thousands of posts via the API.

To my surprise, I am getting notifications.

Is this because my account is an admin, or is there something about this setting that a) does not match my assumption as to what it does or b) is not working as intended?

1 Like

I’ve just had a little try using the regular UI with a non-admin test-user

• :ballot_box_with_check: disable tags edit notifications
  • Set topic to ‘Watching’ for TL2 Test-User
  • Admin user adds tag to topic (using UI)
  • TL2 Test-User receives edit notification

However… When I set the TL2 Test-User to Watching Tag A, and I then change ‘Tag A’ name to ‘Tag 1’ the Test-User did not receive a notification to say the tag had been edited.

Maybe it only covers that?

Edit: Actually, I tried the second test with the disable tags edit notifications unchecked, and the TL2 Test-User didn’t get a notification about the tag title being edited either.

I’ll have another think. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

My understanding of how the disable tags edit notifications setting is expected to work is that it should prevent notifications from being sent to users who are watching a tag if a topic is edited to add the watched tag. When I test this on my own site, it is not preventing edit notifications from being sent to users who are watching the tag that I edit into a topic.

It is possible I am misunderstanding what the setting’s intended use is. I’ll try to get some clarification about it and also see if a better description can be added to the site setting. The current description is “Disable tags edit notifications on topics.” That indicates to me that edit notifications should never be created when a topic’s tags are edited.

2 Likes

Was it ever clarified exactly what the function of this setting is? I was reviewing all settings on a Discourse recently and couldn’t work out what this is supposed to do.

1 Like

It looks like there was a commit after this topic was created (and those run-throughs were tested out) that fixed the behaviour:

I think it should now work as expected (and possibly in tandem with disable category edit notifications) to skip sending out notifications if a tag is added to a topic. :+1:

I suppose I better give it a fresh test run… :slight_smile:

• Toggle on disable tags edit notifications :white_check_mark:
  • Set test user to Watching topicA
  • Add a tag to topicA
  • No notification is sent :partying_face:

• Toggle off disable tags edit notifications
  • Set test user to Watching topicB
  • Add a tag to topicB
  • Edit notification is sent :partying_face:

It got a bit muddled when I tried to toggle on/off the setting and test on only one topic, so I think there must be some ‘folding up of the notifications and not retrying duplicates’ of some sort? But I think that should be working as expected now. :+1:

3 Likes

How should I read this exactly? If a topic that I follow get the tag bug for example? I then don’t get notified? Or is it when a group/user is tagged in a post and when you edit it, those people will get a notification again. That last one is something I find very unnecessary and I want to disable that. Is that what this does? Because the description of this option sounds more like my first explanation.

I think both.

I personally find the re-@mentioning an unusual feature. I think there’s some discussion about the category version of it in this topic:

But I believe disable category edit notifications and disable tags edit notifications disables them. :+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.