Notification when a participated topic is edited

say,
A posted a topic,
B and C posted comments below

days later
A modified the topic, is it possible to have B/C get a notification for the topic modified…

seems this is not a common case, just ask if there is some discussion on this already…

thanks…

modified to test

1 Like

Looks like that is possible if you set the notification bell for the topic to “watching,” then there is supposed to be a notification sent if there are edits.

Edits may also cause topic to appear at the topic of most recent topic list.

This is an older topic about that may not all be accurate with current state of discourse, in this it is mentioned edits don’t ever create notifications except notifying original author of a post if someone else edits their post:

watching only notify when there is a reply, the case I describe is when the post is modified…

Watching does notify when the OP is edited, EX:

not really, I just tried the case…

A post a topic,
B set to watching this topic

A modified the main topic content,
B did not get a notification.

Strange, could you try editing your OP here? I’m pretty sure I get notifications for edits and I am watching this topic…

thanks @Firepup650
just modified the main post

Interesting, I didn’t get a notification for that. I wonder what the difference on the other topic is…

if I post a new comment here, you will get a notification for sure,

There are a couple admin settings that seem to be for this:

1 Like

Indeed, as well as if I was quoted or mentioned.

2 Likes

I have both unchecked. they are not disabled.

anyway, it seems not a common use case, just got asked by a member ID
“get notified when a post modified”, I don’t see it is really needed either, seems too much,

2 Likes

I kind of disagree. For me and few smaller forums it is almost every day issue. I would say when a forum is… very content centric and first post is more than a question and longer there is and will be situations when something important has added or changed on OP. Kind of same thing than with wikis but by one user only.

I normally write one liner and tell what is changed or added and will delete that post after a while or after next post in that topic.

How that should notified to users… I don’t know.

Have three more edit notifications today, I do wonder why I get those, and I didn’t get one for the OP here being edited yesterday… :thinking:

For that matter, I got a notification for this topic being edited when Jammy added the notifications tag.

1 Like

This is a need for us as well. I actually have always assumed that users have been getting notifications for edits.

because these are admin edits.

my wild guess this should not be hard to implement,

• say, currently in a topic, when there is a new topic, a function is triggered, in which all participants will be notified.
  • in the system, when any post is edited, there is an event, could hook that up to the function that does the notification.

and there could be a setting to let notified or not for participated topic being edited.
still feel this might be too much…
comparing to github issue, it does not notify for comment or issue body edits.

and this could make system more busy, esp, when there are a big number of users…

I don’t believe that’s the case, given some of the other edits I’ve had triggered are on wiki posts.

I tried the case with wiki post using two regular ID accounts, it does not notify tho…

Perhaps try leaving a post unedited for a few hours and see if that makes a difference? Perhaps it won’t send notifications within X time of the topic being created.