Disabling Allow New Registrations still shows registration link and modal

Please feel free to move or delete this post if it is in fact not a bug.

I noticed that if I uncheckallow new registrationsthe ‘Sign Up’ link is still visible in the header. Furthermore, the link opens the registration modal and allows one to fill in all the fields only to be prompted that new registrations are currently not allowed after all required info is submitted.

This is a bit of a piss-off if you’ve just gone through the hassle to enter all your registration info, don’t you think?

Wouldn’t it be better to simply remove the ‘Sign Up’ link (and disable the registration modal)? This is already enforced with theinvite only setting, so it shouldn’t be difficult to implement.

Thoughts?

I don’t know as I’d call this a Bug instead of UX.

But I agree, I’d rather not be presented with an option to a process that can’t be completed, or know that it can’t be completed sooner rather than later.

As for how much work would be involved to implement the change, I have no idea.
But I have learned that most often what the ignorant declare as “simple” or “easy” is often neither.

1 Like

Sure we can probably improve this, that is a bit of an emergency switch though – it turns off all signups, unconditionally, forever. @techapj can you have a look at doing something simple but better here? Do not want to spend a lot of time on it.

1 Like

I am not able to repro this.

In my local testing when I disabled allow new registrations setting, the ‘Sign Up’ button was hidden from site header. This is expected, as per this code:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/app/assets/javascripts/discourse/controllers/application.js.es6#L9-L13

Are you testing this on latest Discourse version?

2 Likes

Yeah, I have the latest. Well, it looks like this is no longer an issue because today I cannot repro it either. However, yesterday I could repro at will. Strange…