Disabling automatic topic unpinning?

(Franz) #1

Like others, I was confused by this:

One use case of pinned topics are long-running devlogs / diaries. Having the topic unpin itself is rather inconvenient as it will eventually get lost.

Can automatic unpinning of topics be disabled, preferably on a per user basis?

(Sam Saffron) #2

There is a site setting to disable it globally, I kind of wish we allowed you to pick per-pin

(Franz) #3

Yes, I just found the related discussion:

I suppose it’ll be part of the next release?

Thanks guys, awesome support as always.

(Sam Saffron) #4

The disable flag is in latest, per user or per pin option was discussed but is not planned

(Mittineague) #5

I have unpinned quite a few topics after reading them.
The easiest way to find them again that I’ve found is to visit while not logged in.

A bit inconvenient and not the easiest thing to do or teach to others, but it works.

(Régis Hanol) #6

We discussed this and based on the feedback we received, we added a new user preference :cherries:

(@SenpaiMass) #7

Gonna upgrade my setup now thanks :smile:

(Franz) #8

Just updated, thanks!

Not sure to understand why there are two settings (Automatically unpin and Automatically unpin by default) since there are no per-topic unpin setting… Yet?

(Régis Hanol) #9

The “automatically_unpin_topics” setting is used to globally enable/disable the feature while the “default_topics_automatic_unpin” setting is used to set the default user preference.

You might want to have the feature enabled globally but defaulted to off for your new users.

Pinned topics gone
(Franz) #10

Ah, so this is a per-user setting? I can’t find it in my user preferences.

(Régis Hanol) #11

Exactly, it’s now a per-user setting.

It’s near the bottom

(Franz) #12

Not here…

(Régis Hanol) #13

Are you running the latest version of Discourse? I added this new setting less than an hour ago :wink:

(Franz) #14

I just updated, and I do have the other (site) settings regarding automatic unpinning… Did you do multiple commits?

(Régis Hanol) #15

The “automatically_unpin_topic” setting was added about a couple of days ago.

(Franz) #16

Oh, right. Will get the per-user setting in the next update then. Thanks!

(Christoph) #17

Do I understand things correctly that when a pinned topic only has a single post, the topic gets unpinned as soon as that post is displayed for the user? Or only after it has been displayed for a certain amount of time?

I think it would be good if the automatic unpinning would only be triggered if a topic has been viewed for a certain amount of time. Reason: if you pin a topic, the idea is to make sure that people read it. If it is only one post (perhaps because it is a closed announcement) and people only briefly look at it, you might want to keep it pinned for them until they take a closer look.

(Régis Hanol) #18

Topic is only unpinned for a user once it reaches the end of that topic. If it’s a one-post topic, then I guess it’s the same as viewing that post.

(Christoph) #19

Okay, fine. Then what do you think about adding a timer before it is unpinned? The timer will be irrelevant for longer topics but would be useful for one-post topics.