Disallowing "uncategorized" entries still offers uncategorized as default category

(Arpit Jalan) #8

I just deployed a fresh Discourse instance, and here’s what I found out in my testing with allow uncategorized topics option disabled:

• When I try to create topic as Admin, category defaults to uncategorized.

• When I try to create topic as normal user, category defaults to Select a category, which is just a placeholder and has a validation to select at least one category.

I am not able to repro this.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

(Jeff Atwood) #10

(Jeff Atwood) #11

Reopened per @leichtgewicht request.

(ljpp) #12

It looks like that Uncategorized is the default category for the new posts by Admin or Moderator rank user, even if I have it disabled. Running docked Discourse 1.0.2 at Digital Ocean.

(Jeff Atwood) #13

Correct, admins and staff can always choose any category they like for a topic, including uncategorized. One of their powers.

(Katy Moe) #14

Is there any way to change this? It seems a bit odd to have the category default to Uncategorized even if you’ve disabled it.

(cpradio) #15

Yeah, I get hit by this all of the time. I’ll navigate to a category, create a new topic, hit Create Topic and then go “Oh crap, I didn’t mean for that to be in Uncategorized, I wanted it in the private category I was just in!”

Happens way too often for me (you’d think I would have learned my lesson after the first 3 times…)

Admin/mods can post to "uncategorized" with "allow uncategorized topics" disabled
(Jeff Atwood) #16

Odd, I just navigated to the “movies” category on try, clicked “New Topic”, and I get …

so the default category is indeed determined by the category you’re currently on when you select “New Topic”. (This also works for private categories in my testing)

(cpradio) #17

Ah, you know what it is. I use Reply as New Topic, and that doesn’t (nor should it). I just need to get in the habit of selecting a category.

It would be nice though to have “Select a category…” choosen by default instead of Uncategorized, so I have to actually select a category (instead of not selecting one and Uncategorized getting used automatically).

(Jeff Atwood) #18

Maybe reply as new topic should default to the current category, though. This is still a bit of an edge case.

(cpradio) #19

Or to “Select a category…” instead of “Uncategorized”. I’m not sure why anyone would want Uncategorized to be the default, but that’s just me :smile:

(Mittineague) #20

Except on increasingly rare occasions when I’m tired or distracted I’m used to selecting the category when I “Reply as”.

Since we use it almost exclusively to create private discussions I see no great concern having an Uncategorized category as long as it’s private.

But as @TechnoBear had an incident where the member saw her post, I’m guessing Uncategorized is not so much “private” as it is “unlisted” (i.e. the member followed the gutter link to it)

(Kane York) #21

Note that having a private Uncategorized may break the site. (This can no longer be done through the UI, the security tab is hidden for Uncategorized.)

(cpradio) #22

Yeah, which makes it an odd choice as a default for mods/staff who have access to it. I’m really close to the point of writing a UserScript that will prevent me from submitting a new topic in the Uncategorized category (I literally never want to create a topic in that category).

(TechnoBear) #23

It isn’t private. Only staff have access to use it, and irritatingly, it’s the default setting when you “Reply as linked topic”, but all members can see any post which accidentally ends up there - hence the problem I had with my post being spotted in the two minutes before I changed the category.

(cpradio) #24

@codinghorror, would you be against a PR that would change the default category for Reply as New Topic, or the Create Topic (off the latest page) to “Select a Category” for mods/staff instead of Uncategorized?

To me, this sounds like a win-win for everyone. As right now, defaulting to uncategorized is defaulting to a category you can’t alter the security on, so it is automatically public. That doesn’t make much sense to me.

(Jeff Atwood) #25

The default for “reply as linked topic” should be the same as the current topic, IMO.

I recall us fixing this before so it defaulted to “no category” when there was no category context, not sure what happened. Probably a regression.

(cpradio) #26

Okay, so a PR that put Select a Category when Create Topic from the Latest page and defaulted to the current Category when using Reply as New Topic would be accepted?

Just making sure I understand what you deem to be appropriate, so I can throw it on a “look into, to see if I’m comfortable making this change” list.

Reply as linked topic should default to same category
Admins can accidentally create uncategorized topics without meaning to
(Jeff Atwood) #27