Discobot Advanced Tutorial

Hiya All,

Been a while since I was here back in the lockdown days.

However I’ve recently joined a well known community that I had to work hard to access there system which then directs me to there forum which is “Discourse Powered” to my surprise as I was half expecting something else.

However…I’m happy as it’s something I know and while things may have changed in the past few years I just want to check if it’s there forum that’s playing up or another bug with my old friend “discobot” so here goes

I was doing the generic “Advanced Tutorial” when I got moved up to “member” level 2 and it just got very weird with me by posting things I hadn’t said which I corrected like it asked but when it got to the category section for tagging it asks to change the alert level from tracking to tracked on the category but then it doesn’t move forward from here on.

I suspect broken code again on the discobot tutorial,but I just want to know if it’s just me or not or even a non updated software forum.

Any advice is welcome as I used to annoy @codinghorror with things like this if he’s still around but any genius will do :sweat_smile:

If I recall it was the original Discobot tutorial I had trouble with last time that between us all we managed to fix it.

The Advanced Tutorial just stopped in my inbox so I don’t know if it will continue when fixed or if I’ll have to restart it again but it’s a pain when these things happen as I want my badge for my trophy case :wink:

It does that, lol. It’s to teach you about undeleting posts if I remember that step correctly.

1 Like

So it’s not just me seeing that bug then.

I asked the other community members if they understood the “new” forum software and they joked back they didn’t even know about the different tutorials.

Go figure eh ?!

That’s an intentional step, not a bug lol. The only “bug” part of that would be that it causes an actual deletion (not “post deleted by author”) if the user has perms for it. (e.g. TL4 and staff, and TL4 can’t see the post if they leave after it’s deleted)

I’ve just rerun it here and it works correctly. @PhantomR1982 do you experience the same behaviour here? If so, it’s def not a bug.

3 Likes

I know that undelete step was normal and I’m sure I did it correctly as it was posting as me and not as discobot when I saw the undelete message.

It was the changing of “tracking” to “tracked” when it got weird and just stopped…I did want it asked me to on the “topic” link but then it stopped.

I thought it was just server lag at the time as the replies were taking 2-3 mins each time in the inbox.

I haven’t run it here @HAWK which might be an idea…just over there.

First thought was they are running on old discourse software which is typical of there behind the scenes tech staff.

I’ll come back to you on this point.

Edit:- Hmm ?! :thinking: That’s not like me at all looks like I haven’t even done the basic tutorial on here,yet I spent a while back & forth with you during lockdown,so I best catch up I guess.

2 Likes

Okay…just ran in to a minor error on the standard discobot tutorial her that was asking me to “copy and paste one of 3 links”

As it doesn’t Explain itself properly it can be a little confusing.

I copied the link I wanted,replied to discobot and pasted the link,her then said to try again and that he is poorly programmed and couldn’t see the link however the inbox reply did see it and one boxed the link.

Replied to the message again and he couldn’t see it again so I tried a third time.

But this time I got enter at the top of the reply box creating a new line and then pasted the link and again it one boxed but this time discobot went “TADA” at this point I just stopped to type this.

So while it does explain to paste links on a line on its own the onebox expand shouldn’t have worked in the first place on the empty reply box line.

Only a minor thing but could do with better clarification…I don’t think I had that issue so early on before.

Another minor thing with this statement.

It mentions to flag and select “It’s Inappropriate” however the only option it presents is “Inappropriate” between the other options.

Not that I’m not picking mind you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This is the modal it presented. Looks correct to me.

1 Like

It can also work without typing anything other than the link, but under some conditions it doesn’t. There is a bug topic about that.

1 Like

@PhantomR1982 For thie issue about it not moving on, I think I have encountered this before. Tellng it to ‘skip’ should fix the problem.

Hiya @NateDhaliwal

While “skip” is an option i guess to move on to the next step as a user it feels like i’m cheating the system and i’m not as good as i think using this method…i guess that’s the gamer instinct in me to find a solution. :laughing:

Thanks for the input…much aprreciated.

1 Like

I actually modified the text for Discobot failing to understand the link on our site, so it outright tells you to skip if it’s not working:

Sorry, I couldn’t find the link in your reply! :cry:

Can you try adding the following link, on its own line, in your next reply?

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exotic_Shorthair](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exotic_Shorthair)

(Our staff have asked me to leave a note here that this step doesn't always work. :sob: If it doesn't work for you, just tell me to "skip" ⏩)