Discourse 3.0 is Here!

Today, we’re excited to announce the release of Discourse 3.0! We are bringing our customers and users some major new capabilities to enable communities to have thoughtful, purposeful discussions online. This new release includes real-time chat and user status to enable more informal communication, a customizable sidebar for easier access to the things each user cares about most, and a new notifications interface that makes it easier to decide what is important to follow up on, along with many other improvements.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.discourse.org/2023/01/discourse-3-0-is-here/
61 Likes

I actually managed to make it in somehow! Didn’t expect that.

Excited for version 3 and the future of Discourse. Version 2 was great and I can’t wait to see what the future holds. I’d definitely do the zoom but I’ll be busy then unfortunately.

16 Likes

Is there a migration guide from latest v2 version to v3.? What are breaking changes? I can’t find anything on meta.discource.com. Thanks!

4 Likes

There is no need for migration. It is just another upgrading thru rebuilding.

This is bigger thing just for those who aren’t updating/upgrading regurarly.

11 Likes

There are few and rare times that breaking changes are introduced in my opinion, Discourse goes through a lot of tests, when possible breaking changes are going to be introduced (for example in some method in the Rails code or javascript) usually throws a warning in the console, for example:
someMethod is deprecated since Discourse vX.X, use x instead. Removal in Discourse vX.Y.Z

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such stable software, and with all the facilities in the world to update almost without complications, no need to even worry about migrations or precompiling assets :smiley: (As long as the official guides are used)

19 Likes

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

8 Likes

Thanks for clarification :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi! Thank you for yesterday’s webinar, it was very useful! Will you be sharing the recording?

5 Likes

We do plan to get it shared out. We’re just working out the logistics of that. Bear with us, first webinar, so everything is a new process.

7 Likes

No worries, thank you for your quick reply!

3 Likes

It’s now available on youtube for anyone who’s interested. :+1:

12 Likes

You all did a fantastic job with this, first one or not!

5 Likes

Hey Discourse team,

great job! The Chat looks really nice and feels more intuitive than the old messaging system. But one drawback I see:

We use the forum in our association and we don’t have a lot of money for a big server. So I somehow restricted the use of files upload in the forum. In the new chat I’ve seen the attachment functionality. Can I disable that somewhere?

Kind Regards,
Buntspecht

Edit: found the setting: “chat allow uploads” - but one major drawback could be that the chat messages are not searchable

6 Likes

Correct, you can use the chat allow uploads site setting.

For searching messages, we have a feature discussion here if you’d like to participate:

8 Likes

How can I move the sidebar to the right? Or at least the menu button in the top nav to the right? since it moves my forum logo when enabled.

4 Likes

Although late, 3.0 is a big jump from no sidebar or chat, to those features being in every discourse instance. The sidebar is useful due to easy navigation. 3.0 is the biggest Discourse update of them all (and greatest)

12 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Now I’ve got Chat :speech_balloon: what do I do with Personal Messages?

Discourse 3.1 is here!