Summary: The Discourse Dictionary plugin allows a user to add the dictionary meaning of a word to the first post of a topic. Here’s a short video to demonstrate the working.
- Allows a user (default to TL2) to select a dictionary meaning of a word via the composer. The selected word when hovered, will display a tooltip showing the selected meaning.
- Currently supports Oxford Dictionary API.
- Currently supports singular form of words i.e.
fungiwon’t work you’ll have to use
- The meanings are cached to the db for quick loads in the future and to avoid exhausting the API thresholds.
- You can tweak the values once they’re loaded in the composer.
- Get your API credentials from https://developer.oxforddictionaries.com/
- Use the
app idfor the site setting
discourse dictionary oxford app id
- Use the
api keyfor the site setting
discourse dictionary oxford api key
- You can set the minimum trust level of user’s who can access this feature using
discourse dictionary min trust level
- Support plural forms of words
- Support other Dictionary APIs
- Include tests
Thanks a lot @sam
- I’ve drawn insipiration from the tooltip code in the
- The markdown docs on meta were indispensable for writing this plugin.