Discourse for Teams is here!

Feel free to spin up a Discourse for Teams trial and enable the slack integration, then see what you can do to save transcripts of valuable conversations in discourse. Transcripts are all saved in a single post.

You can create an invite link and post it to your slack to ease the transition. Ideally you’d then set a deadline for new conversations to start happening on Teams and close the channels on slack except for ephemeral contact, as Rafael and Justin are saying.

Note there is nothing public in Teams - if you need public discussions you will want to look at Discourse, not Discourse for Teams. There are also other differences. See Comparing Discourse for Teams with Discourse.

8 Likes

That’s a clever way to move people on free level of Slack over to Discourse for Teams! Archive slack conversations and fall in love with Discourse for Teams. Well done.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fig - Native Discourse client for iOS

Is there a way to migrate from Microsoft Teams?

3 Likes

Hi Nahled! I don’t believe there is a script for migrating from Microsoft Teams, but of course it’s quite possible to plan a move from Microsoft Teams to Discourse for Teams or to use them side by side. It’s not uncommon for folks to use Discourse for Teams alongside other tools.

Feel free to reach out to us directly at support@teams.discourse.com and we can talk more about your specific use case.

7 Likes

Thank you for the answer!

3 Likes

Hey Tobias, are there any migration tools for Google Currents (formerly known as Google+ for G Suite)? Our enterprise users use it very frequently, and it is very important to us.

I have heard good things about migrating ancient Yahoo Groups (which I just learned is shutting down) and ancient Google Groups to Discourse for Teams. I don’t know if you previously had migration tools before Google+ shut its doors to consumers in early 2019, or even after that when enterprise users still had access to the G suite version before they were then migrated to the nearly identical Google Currents (just a renamed version of Google+ for G Suite). G Suite was changed into Google Workspace recently, and we are finally fed up with Google, which is why we want to migrate all of our Google data from Google Currents to Discourse for Teams.

For comparisons sake, here are the links.

I hope that you can find a solution for us. :blush:

4 Likes

Hi Opetron! Welcome. It’s great to hear you are considering Discourse for Teams. Please drop us an email to support@teams.discourse.com so we can talk more about your use case, and what we can do for you.

5 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply! I will definitely drop you an email.

3 Likes

Okay, so we were tempted to move towards Slack, but Salesforce decided to come along and acquire them for $27.7 billion, so that’s off the table. Discourse for Teams it is! :grinning:

7 Likes

Just curious, what about the acquisition impacted the decision for you?

5 Likes
4 Likes

Do you think Slack will be changed dramatically by Selesforce?

3 Likes

Yes, which is why Discourse for Teams is seeming more appealing.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, is Discourse for Teams ideal for schools and such (especially if they’re hybrid or not remote at all)?

3 Likes

It would work well for schools if you were using it as a private collaboration space for teachers, but if you wanted it for students to participate then Discourse for community would probably be more appropriate.

9 Likes

As a general rule: move away from a platform as soon as Salesforce, Oracle or IBM buys it.

9 Likes

Discourse for teams is a great idea and from what I can see from the website the implementation is at least as great as the idea.

I totally get the move to go commercial only with this but I really hope that there will be some kind of open source implementation. I am in a ton of Slack channels that can’t afford a paid solution and all the open source alternatives to slack aren’t really as good and easy to force them to move over.

I haven’t been very active here lately but I find it interesting that I only got to know about Discourse for teams today - months after it started, even though this is something I am highly interested in.

6 Likes

Servus, Helmi! Great to see you are interested in Discourse for Teams. It’s still a fairly new product so I’m not surprised you didn’t find out about it if you haven’t been hanging out actively here on meta or following us on twitter!

Discourse for Teams is a hosted product built with Discourse. If you wanted to set up your own self-hosted Discourse and invite your slack communities over, you’re welcome to do that - Discourse is open source and is very configurable. But of course you have hosting costs and the effort of customizing and running it for all those comunities.

The advantage of Discourse for Teams is that it is quick and easy to spin up a site and get your team invited and collaborating. We also intentionally priced it so it is affordable for small teams. So you could conceivably talk with your slack channels about moving to Teams.

Feel free to spin up a free trial, and PM me if you want to brainstorm about specifics for moving your slack communities over. In case you missed it, you might like to take a look at Comparing Discourse for Teams with Discourse to learn more.

7 Likes

Danke, Tobias. Grüße aus dem Nachbarlandkreis :wink:

Appreciate the quick response. I’m totally aware of costs on self hosted instances and I agree that the pricing is fair for small teams. Unfortunately teams are often bigger (and still don’t have the money) which drives costs apart quite quickly between self hosted but open source and hosted and on a per user base.

But I really didn’t want to opt against the pricing model. It’s totally fair and I think you’ll be having some good success with it. I was always missing something that is as accesible as Slack or Discord but more organized and structured - this could be the right approach.

I will definitely give it a check at some point in the future. :ok_hand:

6 Likes