We are starting to get some interesting questions from the community about Discourse for Teams and how it compares to Discourse, now that we have launched the product, so I will gather the best informaton here in this topic for the benefit of everyone.
Keep in mind that many of the differences don’t apply to self-hosted Discourse, so savvy self-hosters with some programming chops will be able to get pretty close to what we are offering here on their own. But of course without the same level of support and ease of setup and use!
- Pricing optimized for small teams and more affordable than our standard/business/enterprise hosting
- Support provided for all Teams users via dedicated support site
- Totally private, log-in only
- Beautiful theme with sidebar and curated features optimized for team collaboration
- Tracked topics, categories and tags at your fingertips
- Automated icebreakers and weekly updates
- Guest users and guest categories
- Admin settings optimized for teams (many admin settings are hidden)
- Community features such as badges have been removed
- All of your users can be given moderator and admin privileges (only 5 allowed on standard hosting)
Relationship to Discourse:
- Built using the same software, with closed source customizations
- Includes focused sidebar theme that is special to Discourse for Teams and not available as open source
- Ships with a number of official plugins, including encrypted messaging, assign, calendar, polls, checklist… and more!
- Benefits from improvements to Discourse software (and vice versa!)
- Forum data is portable and belongs to the customer. off-site backups are created every 12 hours like any Discourse hosted site. Off-site backups can be requested, and uploaded backups can be restored.
- Hosted on Discourse servers
For enterprise customers:
- Per user pricing for Discourse for Teams enterprise customers is comparable to Discourse enterprise hosting. Ask us!
- We can help enterprise customers to customize Discourse for Teams in a way that a standard customer cannot. If there is a feature or admin setting you are looking for from Discourse and cannot find, let us know. It’s very likely we can add it for you.
- Single Sign On via SAML is available as an option.