Discourse forum emails going to the Promotions tab in Gmail

I have recently noticed that emails to new users from Discourse forums (including Meta, see below) are going to the the Promotions tab in Gmail. This doesn’t apply to existing users who have already been receiving forum emails. A lot of users don’t even bother to check that, only look under Primary, and then think they haven’t received a confirmation email.

Is there a way around this? I have tried multiple providers (Mailgun, Sendgrid, SES) without any luck. I don’t know how much difference a dedicated IP would make if it hasn’t been warmed up.

I am going to try changing the default subject line and make the content more personal, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just wanted to post an update - I have managed to get the emails back into the primary inbox. Not sure exactly what did it, but I kept tweaking domain settings and DNS records, while also changing the content and subject lines to make it more personal.

Hopefully this helps someone! In the meantime, I’ll keep an eye on Gmail/Outlook in case they go back to their old behavior.

2 Likes