Discourse integration for Microsoft Teams?

(Christoph) #1

Apparently, Microsoft Teams is the fastest growing product in Microsoft’s history and in comparison to some of the other collaboration suites and enterprise social networks I kinda see why. However, when it comes to discussions, it is still miles away from discourse and chances are it will never catch up. Also, teams in Teams are currently limited to 2500 members and although that limit will be increases to 5000, it still means that it is not suitable for organization-wide discussions in larger organizations (discussions in Teams are only possible within teams, not across teams. So for everyone in the organization to be able to see a discussion, everyone has to be a member of a single team).

Discourse could fill these gaps but in order to properly integrate with Teams it would have to run in a Teams tab, which, I suppose, is an iframe.

I understand that discourse currently refuses to run in an iframe for security reasons but I wonder if certain iframes (like those in Teams) could be an exception?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

No idea until paying customers start asking us for it. None have yet.

(Christoph) #3

So you are saying it can be done but it is non-trivial?

(Sam Saffron) #4

I think you totally buried the lede here :wink:

Removing iframe busting code is technically possible but not a trivial thing to do

(Christoph) #5

I’m standing on the hose. :woozy_face:

I didn’t assume that what would need to be done is to remove the “iframe busting code” entirely but to disable it selectively in certain contexts.