Discourse links not opening in new tabs

Hi All,
When I am using links other than discourse articles, it’s opening in a new tab.
But when I gave the link of the posts on discourse in one of our other articles, it opened in the same tab.
How do resolve this?
Kindly help.

Regards

1 Like

This is a user preference, under

Other

Open all external links in a new tab

There is no option to open same site links in a new tab. If you need that:

• right click (or long tap) and select open in new tab
  • if on a keyboard enabled device, hold the ctrl key when clicking
12 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I tried this already.
I guess the solution provided is the only option.
Is it a possibility, if we can open all links in new tab (be it external or internal) in the near future???

Regards

2 Likes

Discourse is a Single Page App. How would it make sense to open all links in a different tab. Even for normal sites, who wants to open all links in a new tab anyway?

2 Likes

If you don’t want to “lose your place” in Discourse, for internal links you can always right-click and select “Open link in new tab”. You will still be where you left off in your original tab/window. Or just right-click on your browser’s back button and select the page you want to go back to. That’s about what your possibilities are unless an option is provided in the future to open all links in a new tab.

Thanks Jim for confirming this. Really helps.

1 Like

I tried using this though:
This works for now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Though if you open a link in a new tab by right clicking it and pressing open in new tab/ window/ incognito window it will not say that the link had been clicked which is kind of annoying (probably a bug)

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the downside of right-clicking on them.

3 Likes

I insert a link in a image, how click this image in topic can be open in newtab? thank you!

Can we have a board wide feature that enables to open all external links in a new tab for guests?

Currently the feature is a user pref, and does not work for guests (or published pages, for example).

Usecase: this would be nice to have where it’s not really necessary to have a user sign up, in my case for wiki-topics/documentation.

That is actually strongly against all kind UX. And it can be really annoying when a site starts polluting tabs. Let an user decide when and what one will open in tabs.

3 Likes

Is there any way to force this to be new tab?

I can’t seem to have our external ‘status page’ show as a new tab on a global_notice.

I don’t want people to leave the site, just want users to be able to open a new tab with our status information?

1 Like

I’m setting up a new Discourse and running into this as well. I would like external links to open in a new tab. The setting is enabled. But when I post links, they simply have no target assigned, and obviously don’t open in a new tab.

Is there something wrong with the feature somehow?

1 Like

OK this is strange but I walked away for about 15 minutes and now the links are opening in a new tab. :person_shrugging:

1 Like