In the following post I described the weaknesses in our S3 implementation:https://meta.discourse.org/t/amazon-s3-is-not-deprecated-in-1-3-for-image-attachment-storage/26594/108?u=sam&source_topic_id=29241
Since then @zogstrip and to a minor extent me, have been working on fixing the s3 issues.
- We now upload to s3 in the background (without blocking a web worker)
- We stopped using the fog gem.
- We moved to an s3 “friendly” upload scheme for avatars
- We support an additional CDN in front of S3 content
- We changed the URL scheme on s3 to match the local scheme (which makes it way easier to move to a from s3)
I went ahead and enabled this here, we will be refining this and even migrating all the existing images and avatars on meta to s3