Discourse New User Tips and Tricks

faq-material

(Jeff Atwood) #1

Originally published at: Discourse New User Tips and Tricks

If you’re new to Discourse, here are a few quick tips and tricks to get you started: Reading Selecting a topic title will always take you to your last read post in the topic. To enter at the top ↑ or bottom ↓ instead, select the reply count or last reply date. Topics above the…

(Jeff Atwood) #2

If there are any other tricks and tips – non-obvious essentials that every new Discourse user should know, please provide suggestions on that here.

(Andrew Waugh) #3

Jeff,

Below is a link to the user guides I’ve generated since we went live. They are a bit wordy, and some of them are fairly specific to our forum, but they are all in response to questions which users raised with respect to the new platform.

Some of them seem really trivial, but we had various problems with users not being able to distinguish between private and public messages.

(Andrew Waugh) #4

As a newbie to Discourse, and being silly enough to volunteer to be a moderator just as we went live on the new platform I felt a distinct need for a “New Moderator tips and tricks” topic. Meta had most of the information I was looking for, but it appears as mixed in with more technical admin information.

How about a similar theme for new mods?

(Stefan Brand) #5

I don’t understand the following:

To start a topic with a link, paste the link into the title field.

When I create a new topic and paste a link into the title field, nothing happens… :stuck_out_tongue:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Are you on Discourse 1.7 or later?

(Stefan Brand) #7

I thought that Discourse 1.7 is not out yet? We are on the previous version.

(Stefan Brand) #8

Okay, got it now… :wink: Discourse 1.7 Released!

Here’s the “How To” list for my forum:

Some are specific to our use case. They’re generally responses to frequently-asked questions.

(Nukeador) #10

Since this blog post is now linked from the welcome message, is there a way we can have it localized?

(Jeff Atwood) #11

You can localize it and change the email in Admin, Customize to point to a different URL, perhaps? Any ideas here @erlend_sh?

(Nukeador) #12

Yes I can, but I was thinking more on a solution for everyone :wink:

(Benjol) #17

I’ve done a French version here:

I’m going to update the translation of system_messages.usage_tips.text_body_template

(Ben Creasy) #18

Here’s one: a while back I asked Jeff how to see a list of open features (originally raised over at Some kind of marker for ‘completed feature’ posts) and he pointed me to advanced searching. I’m not sure where the searching docs are, but I found Double-Stuf improved search feedback and came up with:

https://meta.discourse.org/search?q=status%3Aopen%20category%3A2%20order%3Alikes

basically search on status:open category:2

It might be nice to make this more discoverable, but it works for now!